How to calculate heat of combustion?

In summary, to calculate the heat of combustion per mole of glucose(s), C6H12O6(s), you will need to write the balanced equation for C6H12O6 + xO2 -> whatever, find the number of bonds broken/made, and look up the bond energy. This will help you determine the delta H of reaction, which is equal to the bonds broken (reactants) minus the bonds formed (final products). With this information, you can then calculate the heat of combustion per mole of glucose.

Homework Statement

Calculate the heat of combustion per mole of glucose(s), C6H12O6(s).

This is the only information given. There is no Hess' law equations or any of the sort.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already know the answer is roughly -2813kJ/mole but I don't understand how to arrive to the answer with this little information. I would like to be given some sort of direction that could help me calculate to -2813kJ/mole.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the balanced equation for C6H12O6 + xO2 -> whatever
Find how many bonds are broken/made
Look up the bond energy
A bit of arithmatic

For what's it's worth, I agree with the above poster. Draw a Lewis Dot structure and figure out the bonds. Bond energy=delta H of reaction = Bonds broken (reactants) - Bonds formed (final products). You can look up these values online or in your textbook. =)

1. What is the heat of combustion?

The heat of combustion is the amount of energy released when a substance undergoes complete combustion with oxygen. It is usually measured in units of energy per unit mass, such as joules per gram or kilojoules per mole.

2. How is the heat of combustion calculated?

The heat of combustion can be calculated using the formula Q = m x ΔH, where Q is the heat of combustion, m is the mass of the substance being combusted, and ΔH is the change in enthalpy of the reaction.

3. What factors can affect the heat of combustion?

The heat of combustion can be affected by the type of substance being combusted, the amount of oxygen present, and the temperature and pressure of the surroundings. It can also be influenced by the efficiency of the combustion process.

4. How is the heat of combustion used in real-world applications?

The heat of combustion is an important factor in various industries, such as energy production and fuel development. It is used to determine the energy content of different fuels and to optimize combustion processes for maximum efficiency.

5. Can the heat of combustion be negative?

Yes, the heat of combustion can be negative if the substance undergoing combustion is producing more energy than it is consuming. This is often the case with highly energetic fuels such as hydrogen and methane.