How to Calculate Acceleration on the X Axis Using Tri-axial Accelerometers?

• Thread starter Murs
  • Start date
In summary, the accelerometer measures the change in voltage output as a result of movement. This can be used to calculate acceleration.
Murs
Hi,

I am very new to accelerometers and I don't seem to be making any head way with them and I was wondering if someone could tell me what would be my first step in calculating acceleration on the X axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the tri-axial bit is irrelevant if you're only considering one axis. What type of accelerometer do you have, and what are you using to measure its output?

Hi,
I am concerned with all the axis( X, Y, and Z ) but I figured if I was told how to find one. I would be able to figure out the others. I am using a ±1.5g Three Axis Low-g Micromachined Accelerometer. So far all I am seeing are the accelerometer ADC values

19.405 2318 2038 2037
19.605 2320 2044 2036
19.805 2323 2049 2035

In the Format: <timeSec> <accX> <accY> <accZ>

The problem is I don't know what to do with these values to find the acceleration in each of the axis.

I only worked with an acceleromter briefly 2 years ago as a freshman project, but shouldn't there be some sort of rating for the meter (I think the one I worked with happened to be .01v/g). Knowing the voltage output you can calculate acceleration.

I did only get a B for the course due to troubles with hooking it up to an 8-digit display, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. :P

Hi,

The voltage output for the
XOut @ 0g = 1.65V
YOut @ -1g = 0.85V
ZOut @ 0g = 1.6V

I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me how the voltage output can help you calculate acceleration - Or anyone else that knows and can help me

Thanks!

A spec sheet for your accelerometer may help. Do you have a model number?

MMA7260Q
Located @ http://www.freescale.com/files/sensors/doc/data_sheet/MMA7260QT.pdf

Thanks

You have a zero point and a sensitivity for each channel. Basically, using the values given in your data sheet (and comparing to what you've posted):

Acceleration (g) = (Output in mV - Zero point in mV) / (Sensitivity in mV/g)

So for example...

Acceleration (g) = (850 mV - 1650 mV) / 800 mV/g = -1g

Hope this helps.

Thanks Man!

Much appreciated

1. What is a tri-axial accelerometer?

A tri-axial accelerometer is a type of sensor that measures acceleration in three perpendicular axes: x, y, and z. This allows for more accurate tracking of movement in three-dimensional space.

2. How does a tri-axial accelerometer work?

A tri-axial accelerometer works by using microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) technology to detect changes in acceleration. Inside the accelerometer, there are tiny structures that move in response to changes in acceleration, and these movements are converted into electrical signals that can be measured and interpreted.

3. What are some applications of tri-axial accelerometers?

Tri-axial accelerometers have a wide range of applications. They are commonly used in devices such as smartphones, fitness trackers, and gaming controllers to track movement and orientation. They are also used in engineering and scientific research for measuring vibration, impact, and other forms of acceleration.

4. How accurate are tri-axial accelerometers?

The accuracy of a tri-axial accelerometer depends on various factors such as the quality of the sensor, its calibration, and the environment it is being used in. Generally, tri-axial accelerometers have a high level of accuracy and can measure accelerations as small as 0.001 g (approximately 9.8 millimeters per second squared).

5. Can tri-axial accelerometers measure both static and dynamic acceleration?

Yes, tri-axial accelerometers can measure both static and dynamic acceleration. Static acceleration refers to the force of gravity acting on an object, while dynamic acceleration refers to changes in velocity or movement. Tri-axial accelerometers can measure both types of acceleration, making them useful for a wide range of applications.