Maximizing Acceleration on an Icy Hill: A Work and Energy Approach

In summary, the car will slip down the hill faster if the driver pushes the break and holds it, or lets the car slip freely.
Arsham
Consider a car (Mass m) above a hill (Slip angle is alpha) , which is covered with ice (Snow). if the car slips down the hill, in which circumstances its acceleration would be higher?
1- The driver push the break and hold it.
2- The driver let the car slips freely.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Arsham said:
Consider a car (Mass m) above a hill (Slip angle is alpha) , which is covered with ice (Snow). if the car slips down the hill, in which circumstances its acceleration would be higher?
1- The driver push the break and hold it.
2- The driver let the car slips freely.

Hi Arsham! Welcome to PF!

Show us what you think, and why, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Arsham! Welcome to PF!

Show us what you think, and why, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

The idea is simple. Just consider three situations:
1- (Holding break)The wheels cannot rotate, where the car and its wheels should be treated as a solid body, which is a simple case (I assume!)
2- (Slipping freely)The wheels can rotate but because of the small friction, they won't rotate. I don't know if this situation is possible or not, but if it is, I assume that it should be like No.1. Again considering the whole car as a rigid body and therefore the free diagram would be similar to no.1's
3-(Slipping freely)The wheels can rotate and they will. My question is in this part. How the free diagram should be sketched? what would be the applied forces? How the friction can be calculated? How the linear acceleration can be calculated?

energy

Hi Arsham! :smile:

(btw, it's "brake" when it's to do with a vehicle :wink:)
Arsham said:
… How the free diagram should be sketched? what would be the applied forces? How the friction can be calculated? How the linear acceleration can be calculated?

In a case like this, forces are confusing …

try using energy and work done instead …

if the wheels are rotating, how does that affect the energy and the speed and the work done by friction? :smile:

Thanks for the hint! :redface:

I would try to solve it with work & energy. Although I have to check my books to remember the procedures! :wink: Anyhow, many thanks for your comments and help. Will let you know if I succeed.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is the formula for acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. How is acceleration different from velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. Velocity is a vector quantity, while acceleration is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction.

4. What is the unit of measurement for acceleration?

The unit of measurement for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2). This means that for every second an object is in motion, its velocity will increase by the specified amount.

5. How does mass affect acceleration?

Inertia, which is the resistance of an object to change its state of motion, is directly proportional to an object's mass. This means that objects with larger mass will require more force to accelerate compared to objects with smaller mass. Therefore, mass does affect acceleration, as a greater force is needed to accelerate an object with greater mass.