Designing a Ramp for Exercise Equipment Delivery

In summary, to design a delivery ramp for crates containing exercise equipment, the force constant of the spring needs to be calculated in order to meet the design criteria. The crates weigh F_1 and move at a speed of v at the top of a ramp sloping downward at an angle \phi. The ramp exerts a kinetic friction force of F_2 on each crate, and the maximum static friction force also has this value. Each crate will compress a spring at the bottom of the ramp and will come to rest after traveling a total distance of L along the ramp. To calculate the force constant, the following equations can be used: (Lsin\phi)F_1+1/2*mv^2 = 1/
Brainsplosion
You are designing a delivery ramp for crates containing exercise equipment. The crates weighing [itex]F_1[/itex] will move at a speed of v at the top of a ramp that slopes downward at an angle [itex]\phi[/itex]. The ramp exerts a kinetic friction force of [itex]F_2[/itex] on each crate, and the maximum static friction force also has this value. Each crate will compress a spring at the bottom of the ramp and will come to rest after traveling a total distance of L along the ramp. Once stopped, a crate must not rebound back up the ramp.

Calculate the force constant of the spring that will be needed in order to meet the design criteria.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1397/asdfbjl.png

This is what I've tried so far:
initial energy: [itex](Lsin\phi)F_1+1/2*mv^2[/itex]
final energy: [itex]1/2*kx^2[/itex]
lost energy: [itex]F_2L[/itex]

initial= final + lost
[itex](Lsin\phi)F_1+1/2*mv^2 = 1/2*kx^2 + F_2L[/itex] (we shall call this equation 1)

From the free body diagram of the crate resting on the spring at the bottom of the ramp:
[itex]kx=F_1sin\phi+F_2[/itex] (we shall call this equation 2)

I'm not quite sure all of the above is correct, but if so.. I don't think there's supposed to be the variable of m in there. Should I substitute [itex]F_1/g[/itex] ?
Then, am I supposed to solve for x in equation 2 then plug that into equation 1?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Looks like a plan.

F1/g looks workable.

2 equations, 2 unknowns ...

Edit: I found what I was doing wrong. Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What materials should be used to build a ramp for exercise equipment delivery?

The ideal materials for building a ramp for exercise equipment delivery should be strong, durable, and able to support heavy weights. Some commonly used materials include wood, metal, and concrete. It is important to ensure that the chosen material can withstand the weight of the equipment being delivered.

2. What should be the ideal size and slope of the ramp?

The size and slope of the ramp will depend on the type and size of the exercise equipment being delivered. Generally, a ramp should be at least 3 feet wide to accommodate most equipment. The slope should be no more than 1:12, meaning for every 1 inch of rise, there should be 12 inches of length.

3. Are there any safety regulations that need to be followed when designing a ramp for exercise equipment delivery?

Yes, there are several safety regulations that need to be followed when designing a ramp for exercise equipment delivery. The ramp should have handrails on both sides and be free of any obstructions or tripping hazards. It should also be designed to handle the weight of the equipment and have a non-slip surface to prevent accidents.

4. How should the ramp be positioned for easy and safe delivery of exercise equipment?

The ramp should be positioned in a way that allows for easy and safe delivery of exercise equipment. It should have a clear and direct path from the delivery vehicle to the designated location, with enough space for the delivery personnel to maneuver the equipment. Additionally, the ramp should be placed on a level surface and secured properly to prevent shifting or movement.

5. Can a ramp be used for both delivery and regular use of exercise equipment?

Yes, a ramp can be designed to serve both purposes. However, it is important to consider the weight and frequency of use when designing the ramp. If the equipment will be used frequently, it may be necessary to reinforce the ramp or use a more durable material to prevent wear and tear.