Air flow in pipe, diameter change, affect performance?

In summary: If I have a 3" and a 2.5" straight tube what is the flow potential of the 3" tube compared to the 2.5" tube? I am not sure the answer to your first question. The relationship between intake tube diameter and engine performance is more complicated than just a straightforward "bigger is better." It depends on a variety of factors, including the filter type, the port dimensions, and the RPM range that the engine will be used in. For the sake of this question, the flow potential of either tube will be the same at a given RPM. The relationship between tube length and internal diameter in regard to its flow potential is more complicated than just a straightforward
550gts
I am attempting to build an intake setup for an engine I'm working on. I currently have a 3" diameter aluminum pipe on the throttle body that just curves off to the side. I would like to try and get some cooler air by routing it down into the bumper. I have access to 2.5" diameter piping. I was thinking of just expanding the 3" pipe with the 2.5" pipe into the bumper. This would mean that the air coming in would be into the smaller pipe and about half way to the TB, it would expand into the larger pipe. I know if the diameter increases, the velocity of the air will decrease, but would this affect performance of the engine at all? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
see post Feb14-09, 04:36 AM #1Mgt3

Horsepower - Please help - Confused!

read it for background on CFM

Thanks for that, A LOT of great information in that thread. I don't think that quite answers my question though.

550gts said:
Thanks for that, A LOT of great information in that thread. I don't think that quite answers my question though.
Here is an online pressure drop calculator for air in tubes:
http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/airflow/index.htm
For a 5-liter 4-cycle engine running at 5000 RPM, I calculate 12,500 liters per minute. For this flowrate in a 75 mm tube, the pressure drop is 0.018 atm per meter; for a 63.5 mm dia, it is 0.037 atm per meter; for a 50 mm dia it is 0.11 atm per meter.
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so that means the 3" pipe is about 2x as efficient at getting the air through than the 2.5" pipe. Does that mean its bad to have the smaller pipe before the larger pipe in the intake?

as far as your application...since you are not messing with the ports, intake runners etc..any improvement to cold air flow to the throttle body is a plus, and smoother is better (transition between pipe sizes..)
go for it

remember this..
internal combustion engines need a lot of CFM at Wide Open Throttle (WOT)
you can really mess up a pretty good set up by over sizing the intake...in many cases a smaller bore intake, runners, ports etc...will be more responsive to engine requirements...i have ported out a 4 cylinder head on the intake size to where the flow actually stalled due to too large of a port size. we had to replace the head with a stock one that was ported much less and the performance really took off. calculate for the RPM range you will use 90 percent of the time...it is all about compromise.

general rule of thumb:
1)the more volume in your intake track the the more sluggish the throttle response for sudden opening of the throttle but the better the top end
2)the intake track is only as strong as its bottle neck, generally speaking. so a 4ft long intake tube that's half 2.5in diameter and the other half 3in is a lot like a straight 2.5in diameter tube as far as maximum efficient airflow.

Thanks for all the info, guys. I think I'm going to try it. It's no smaller than the stock intake that was on it. It's mainly just to bring in cooler air. The intake I have on it now gets pretty hot sometimes. I can always take it off later if it doesn't work out for me. Thanks again!

one major factor is the air filter..look up K&N air filters...stock paper elements are restrictive..K&N is the hot set up

I wouldn't use anything else :biggrin:

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I am also designing an intake tube and I don't think that OP's question was quite answered. He was asking about the relationship between intake tube diameter and engine performance. Either way I have some new questions that pertain to the same topic. For the sake of simplicity, let's assume the absence of an air filter and no modifications to the cylinder head (valves, ports, etc...).

1) Is this correct? (below)

hhn2002 said:
the intake track is only as strong as its bottle neck, generally speaking. so a 4ft long intake tube that's half 2.5in diameter and the other half 3in is a lot like a straight 2.5in diameter tube as far as maximum efficient airflow.

Doesn't the flow potential of a tube depend on both it's diameter and its length? Ergo, a 4'x2.5"dia tube would be more restrictive than a 2'x2.5"dia tube connected to a 2'x3"dia tube? Further, doesn't the nature of the transition between the two diameters have an impact as well?

2) What is the relationship between tube length and internal diameter in regard to its flow potential? For instance, If I have a 3" and a 6" straight tube how do I calculate their lengths in order to achieve equal air velocity and restrictive characteristics?

3)Given a constant air flow, say for instance 432.36CFM, through a tube via an infinitely powerful source of suction, a smaller diameter tube will facilitate a higher air velocity and conversely a larger diameter tube will have a lower air velocity. Obviously a naturally aspirated engine is far from an infinitely powerful anything so at what point does decreasing the diameter (or increasing tube length) stop increasing the air velocity and start restricting flow?

4) How do I determine the effects of bends in the tubes?

Thanks in advance for any insights you may have. I just joined this forum last night and so far I have read some extremely interesting things. (Hilsche vortex tube! WTF??!??!) Keep up the good work!

1. How does changing the diameter of a pipe affect air flow?

The diameter of a pipe is directly related to the air flow. A larger diameter pipe allows for more air to flow through it, while a smaller diameter pipe restricts the flow. This is due to the fact that a larger pipe has a greater cross-sectional area, allowing for more air molecules to pass through at a given time.

2. Does changing the diameter of a pipe affect the air pressure?

Yes, changing the diameter of a pipe can affect the air pressure. When the diameter of a pipe decreases, the air molecules have less space to move through, causing an increase in air pressure. Similarly, when the diameter increases, the air pressure decreases.

3. Can changing the diameter of a pipe improve air flow performance?

Yes, changing the diameter of a pipe can improve air flow performance. By increasing the diameter of a pipe, the air flow can be increased, allowing for more efficient movement of air. This can be especially beneficial for industries that rely on efficient air flow, such as HVAC systems.

4. How does the shape of a pipe affect air flow?

The shape of a pipe can also affect air flow. For example, a pipe with a smooth, straight interior will allow for more efficient air flow compared to a pipe with a rough, uneven interior. This is because a smoother surface reduces turbulence and allows for a smoother flow of air.

5. Is there an optimal diameter for maximum air flow performance?

Yes, there is an optimal diameter for maximum air flow performance. This can vary depending on the specific application, but in general, a larger diameter pipe will result in higher air flow performance. However, it is important to consider other factors, such as cost and space limitations, when determining the optimal diameter for a pipe.