Step-by-step guide to mastering calculus from little/no maths knowledge

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a strong knowledge of calculus for graduate school and the necessary subjects to study, including advanced algebra, trigonometry, and analytic geometry. The speaker also mentions their goal of pursuing a masters in Physical Oceanography and the difference in depth of study compared to their undergraduate degree.
MathsLearner
Hello everyone,

I am starting to apply for grad schools and its become painfully apparent to me that I will require a strong knowledge of calculus. I did well at undergraduate without having to understand maths, only having to apply it in computer programs and in calculations. What I have found I now need is a strong maths knowledge where I will be prepared for higher level study and where I can derive equations etc. I also need to learn physics!

I have:

Spivak Calculus
University Calculus (Hass, Weir, Thomas)
University Physics (Sears and Zemanskys)

I started the first chapter of Spivak and realize my algebra is not good enough ( I can't really remember much maths from high school)

So before I can even use these books ill need to know the basics- what do I need?! ( i am going to self teach myself using books/internet etc).

Do I need precalculus, and is elementary algebra part of this? Could someone please give me the progression of subjects I should start at and go through to get to Calculus?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have a solid knowledge of advanced algebra and trig (a text that I like, although it's been out of print for years is Spitzbart and Bardell - the problems are excellent) and it will help to have some facility with analytic geometry.

What are you trying to go to graduate school in? If it's physics, you'll still be very far behind even with all that.

A masters in Physical Oceanography; my undergraduate degree was in Ocean science, but focussed more on observational oceanography and I learned more about computer programming etc, whilst a masters will be much more in depth on theoretical physical oceanography and statistics etc...

1. What is the purpose of a step-by-step guide to mastering calculus from little/no maths knowledge?

A step-by-step guide to mastering calculus from little/no maths knowledge is designed to help individuals who have little to no background in mathematics to understand and learn the concepts of calculus. It breaks down complex mathematical concepts into simpler steps, making it easier for beginners to follow and grasp the material.

2. Is this guide suitable for all levels of learners?

Yes, this guide is suitable for all levels of learners. It starts with the basics of calculus and gradually builds upon them, making it suitable for beginners. It also includes more advanced topics and examples, making it beneficial for those with some previous knowledge of calculus.

3. What topics are covered in this guide?

This guide covers all the fundamental topics of calculus, such as limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of calculus. It also includes more advanced topics, such as multivariable calculus and differential equations.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge of mathematics to use this guide?

No, this guide is designed for individuals with little to no background in mathematics. It starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them, making it accessible for beginners.

5. Can this guide be used for self-study?

Yes, this guide can be used for self-study. It is designed to be a comprehensive resource for learning calculus, providing step-by-step instructions and examples. It also includes practice problems and solutions for self-assessment.