What is the identity for a product of 2 LC Tensors in 4D with 3 summed indicies?

• Thread starter div curl F= 0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    4d Tensor
In summary, there are two ways to find an identity for the product of two Levi-Civita symbols in 4D: using a general formula involving determinants, or looking at symmetries and using the fact that the symbols are zero unless all indices are different. In the second approach, it is shown that the product is proportional to \delta^{\mu}_{\nu}, with a constant of proportionality equal to n! (in this case, 3!).
div curl F= 0
Is there an identity for a product of 2 LC Tensors in 4D if one sums over 3 of the indicies?

i.e.

[tex] \epsilon^{\mu \beta \gamma \delta} \epsilon_{\nu \beta \gamma \delta} = ? [/tex]

What if gamma is constrained to be 0? Does this reduce things?

Best Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a general formula for the product of multidimensional Levi-Civita symbols:

[tex]\epsilon_{i_1 i_2 i_3 \ldots i_n}\epsilon_{j_1 j_2 j_3 \ldots j_n}= \det A[/tex]
where A is the matrix with elements
[tex](A)_{mn}=\delta_{i_m j_n}[/tex].

Using this you could push out an identity with a bit of work.

A more direct way is to look at symmetry consider expressions of the form:
[tex]\epsilon^{\mu i_1 \ldots i_n} \epsilon_{\nu i_1 \ldots i_n}[/tex]. (In your case n=3).

The Levi-Civita symbol is zero unless all the terms are different, and there are only n+1 different choices for the indicies; thus for any given choice of [tex]i_1,\ldots,i_n[/tex] there is only one choice of mu such that the first term doesn't vanish, and only one choice of nu such that the second term doesn't vanish. Consequently the whole expression is proportional to [tex]\delta^{\mu}_{\nu}[/tex].

Now to find the constant of proportionality just work with any case: to get a non-vanishing term we require all the indicies to be different. If we choose mu=nu, then we have n ways of choosing i_1, (n-1) ways of choosing i_2, ..., 1 way of choosing i_n; and so we get exactly n! non-vanishing terms.
Now clearly each term is either 0 or 1, and so we conclude
[tex]\epsilon^{\mu i_1 \ldots i_n} \epsilon_{\nu i_1 \ldots i_n}=n! \delta^{\mu}_{\nu}[/tex].

So
[tex]
\epsilon^{\mu \beta \gamma \delta} \epsilon_{\nu \beta \gamma \delta} = 3! \delta^{\mu}_{\nu}
[/tex]

Hope I convinced you!

What is a Levi Civita Tensor in 4D?

A Levi Civita Tensor in 4D is a mathematical object used in multivariate calculus and tensor analysis. It is a rank-2 tensor that is anti-symmetric and has a single non-zero component in each of its six independent components.

What is the significance of a Levi Civita Tensor in 4D?

A Levi Civita Tensor in 4D is significant because it represents the volume element in four-dimensional space. It is also used in the cross product and vector calculus, as well as in the Einstein field equations in general relativity.

How is a Levi Civita Tensor in 4D calculated?

A Levi Civita Tensor in 4D can be calculated using the permutation symbol, which assigns a value of +1 or -1 to each permutation of its indices. The tensor is then multiplied by the corresponding components of the metric tensor to obtain its components.

What are the properties of a Levi Civita Tensor in 4D?

A Levi Civita Tensor in 4D is anti-symmetric, meaning that exchanging any two of its indices results in a change of sign. It also has a single non-zero component in each of its six independent components, making it a useful tool in multivariate calculus and tensor analysis.

What are some applications of a Levi Civita Tensor in 4D?

A Levi Civita Tensor in 4D is used in various fields including physics, mathematics, and engineering. It is particularly useful in general relativity, electromagnetism, and fluid mechanics, where it helps to simplify and solve problems involving vector and tensor calculus.