How to Express c in Terms of b in Quadratic Equations?

• Thread starter um0123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary: It is not true that the absolute value of 1 is required for the equation to hold.In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the equation for a quadratic equation in terms of b and c, but is having trouble due to not understanding the equation or what the question is asking.
um0123

Homework Statement

The roots of [tex]x^2 + bx + c = 0[/tex] are [tex]r_1[/tex] and [tex]r_2[/tex],
where [tex]|r_1 - r_2| = 1[/tex].

Express c in terms of b.

Homework Equations

[tex]x^2 + bx + c = 0[/tex]

[tex]|r_1 - r_2| = 1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not even sure where to start with this problem, and i don't see how the roots are relevant. I just don't know what the question is asking.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write r1 and r2 in terms of b and c? i.e. actually find the roots.

The condition then says that the difference between these roots must be 1. Using the roots that you found above, set their difference equal to one. When does this equation hold true? How must b and c be related to satisfy this equation?

The roots are very relevant. If r1 and r2 are roots of your quadratic equation, it can be written as (x - r1)(x - r2) = 0.

Multiply the product above and equate the coefficient of x with b, and the constant term above with c.

The other condition, |r1 - r2| = 1, says that either r1 = r2 + 1 or that r2 = r1 + 1.

(x - r1)(x - r2) =

[tex]x^2 -r_1x - r_2x -r_1r_2[/tex]

so how do i combine the middle terms to get a single coefficient for b.

um0123 said:
(x - r1)(x - r2) =

[tex]x^2 -r_1x - r_2x -r_1r_2[/tex]

so how do i combine the middle terms to get a single coefficient for b.

Take out a factor of x:

[tex]
(x - r_1)(x - r_2) =

x^2 -x(r_1+r_2) +r_1r_2[/tex]Also, be careful with your signs. The constant term should be +r1r2

okay, I am seeing it a little more now, but i still don't understand how to relate b and c. I guess you can say that c is the product and b is the sum (of the values r1 and r2), but that's not relating the two to each other. And i still don't understand why its important that the absolute value is equal to 1.

um0123 said:
okay, I am seeing it a little more now, but i still don't understand how to relate b and c. I guess you can say that c is the product and b is the sum (of the values r1 and r2), but that's not relating the two to each other. And i still don't understand why its important that the absolute value is equal to 1.

It is important because that is the condition that the question requires. Think about when you normally find the solutions to a quadratic equation; you will (normally) get two unique solutions? What the question is saying is that when you solve this particular one, the difference between these two roots is 1.

If you use the quadratic formula to solve the given equation, what two roots do you get?

So i have to use the quadratic equation on [tex]x^2 -x(r_1+r_2) +r_1r_2[/tex]

x = -(r_1+r_2) +- sqrt{(r_1+r_2)^2 - 4(r_1r_2)}/2

that hardly seems solvable, i know I am doing something wrong.

Apply it to the original equation to find x in terms of b and c.

sorry, i don't understand what you mean by apply it to the original equation.

[tex]
x^2 + bx + c = 0
[/tex]

Solving this gives:
[tex]x=\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4c}}{2}[/tex]

and

[tex]x=\frac{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4c}}{2}[/tex]

The condition says that the difference between these is 1.

i understand that part, but i don't understand how i solve it. Can i use a systems of equations?

Well the [tex]|r_1 - r_2| = 1 [/tex] part says that the difference between these two solutions must be 1.

How about you actually find the difference between the two solutions above and then determine what the relationship between b and c must be for this difference to equal 1.

so

[tex]\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4c}}{2} - \frac{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4c}}{2}=1[/tex]

multiply each side by 2

[tex]-b+\sqrt{b^2-4c} - {-b-\sqrt{b^2-4c}=2[/tex]

simplify

[tex]-b+\sqrt{b^2-4c} + b +\sqrt{b^2-4c}=2[/tex]

-b and b cancel

[tex]\sqrt{b^2-4c}+\sqrt{b^2-4c}=2[/tex]

square both sides

[tex]b^2-4c+b^2-4c=4[/tex]

simplify

[tex]2b^2-8c=4[/tex]

divide everything by 2

[tex]b^2-4c=2[/tex]

add 4c to both sides and subtract 2 from both sides

[tex]b^2-2=4c[/tex]

divide by 4 on both sides

[tex]\frac{b^2-2}{4}=c[/tex]

is that all i can do? did i do it right?

or am i supposed to solve for b?

[tex]b^2-4c=2[/tex]

add 4c to both sides

[tex]b^2=2+4c[/tex]

square root both sides

[tex]b=\sqrt{2+4c}[/tex]

Last edited:
Sorry for the bump, but i am worried i did this wrong, can someone tell me if i did this correctly?

Have another look at that step where you squared both sides.

In general, it is NOT true that [tex](a+b)^2=a^2+b^2[/tex]

in that case i don't know what to do...

You had the right idea, just a small error in the algebra.

[tex]
\sqrt{b^2-4c}+\sqrt{b^2-4c}= 2\sqrt{b^2-4c}=2
[/tex]

How about divide both sides by 2?

[tex]
\sqrt{b^2-4c}=1
[/tex]

Can you see what to do from there? For that equation to hold, how must b and c be related?

omg, thank you so much!

So you see it now? :smile:

Glad to be of assistance :)

1. How do I express c in terms of b?

To express c in terms of b, you can use the following formula: c = b + 1. This means that c is equal to b plus 1.

2. Why is it important to express c in terms of b?

Expressing c in terms of b allows us to understand the relationship between the two variables and how they affect each other. It also helps with solving equations and making predictions based on the values of b.

3. Can I express c in terms of b if there are other variables involved?

Yes, you can still express c in terms of b even if there are other variables involved. You just need to rearrange the equation to isolate c on one side and have b and other variables on the other side.

4. Is there a specific method for expressing c in terms of b?

There are multiple methods for expressing c in terms of b, depending on the complexity of the equation and the variables involved. Some common methods include substitution and elimination.

5. How can I use the expression for c in terms of b in real-life situations?

Expressing c in terms of b can be useful in many real-life situations, such as in calculating interest rates, determining the relationship between two quantities, or finding the optimal solution in a problem. It can also help in making predictions and analyzing data.