Symmetry group for roots

In summary, the conversation discusses the symmetries of the equation x^{4} + a^{2}=0 and how they can be used to show that the roots of the equation are all imaginary numbers. The question is then posed whether this idea can be extended to show that all the roots of the function x^{-1}sinh(x)=0 are also imaginary. There is also a discussion about the conditions under which the irreducible factors of a polynomial with only pure imaginary roots must be of the form x^{4} + (a_i)^{2}, and it is concluded that these conditions are not equivalent.
zetafunction
my question is , given the Group G of symmetries for the equation

[tex] x^{4} + a^{2}=0 [/tex]

for some 'a' Real valued i see this equation is invariant under the changes

[tex] x \rightarrow -x [/tex]

[tex] x \rightarrow ix [/tex]

[tex] x \rightarrow -ix [/tex]

[tex] x \rightarrow -x [/tex]

[tex] x \rightarrow i^{1/2}x [/tex]

[tex] x \rightarrow (-i)^{1/2}x [/tex]

under this symmetries we can see that we ONLY can have imaginary roots, since from the symmetries above any complex number solution to [tex] x^{4} + a^{2}=0 [/tex] should have an argument [tex] 4\phi = 2\pi [/tex] this is deduced from the base that [tex] x^{4} + a^{2}[/tex] is a real function for real 'x' , of course this example is TRIVIAL to prove to be true , but how about a more important case, could we deduce from my idea that ALL the roots of the function [tex] x^{-1}sinh(x)=0 [/tex] are ALL imaginary numbers ?

given any Polynomial K(x) with the following properties

* K(x) have ONLY pure imaginary roots (A)

* degre of K(x) is a multiple of '4' (B)

could we proof by any REDUCIBILITY theorem (over Real numbers) that the irreducible factors of K(x) over the field R are or will be of the form (the best possible chance) [tex] x^{4} + (a_i)^{2} [/tex] for some a_i ??

Another question is are conditions (A) and (B) equivalent ??

Physics news on Phys.org
A few places where you're not quite right:

1) This equation is not invariant under the transformations [tex]x \mapsto \pm i^{ \frac{1}{2} } x[/tex] since [tex]( \pm i^{\frac{1}{2}} x )^4 = i^2 x^4 = -x[/tex], not x.

2) Do you mean that x^4 + a^2 = 0 as only pure imaginary roots? Because that's not true for a = 2, so your two *-ed conditions are certainly not equivalent.

3) No, even under those assumptions the irreducible factors do not have to be of that form. Consider for example (x-i)^4, or if you want one that doesn't split, (x^2 + 1)^2.

1. What is a symmetry group for roots?

A symmetry group for roots is a mathematical concept that describes the symmetries of a polynomial equation. It is a group of transformations that preserve the structure of the equation, including the roots or solutions.

2. How is a symmetry group for roots related to the Galois group?

The symmetry group for roots is a subgroup of the Galois group, which is a larger group that describes the symmetries of a polynomial equation. The symmetry group for roots specifically focuses on the symmetries of the roots or solutions of the equation.

3. What are some common examples of symmetry groups for roots?

One example is the symmetry group for the quadratic equation, which has 3 possible transformations that preserve the structure of the equation and its solutions. Another example is the symmetry group for the cubic equation, which has 6 possible transformations.

4. What is the importance of studying symmetry groups for roots?

Studying symmetry groups for roots can provide insights into the structure and properties of polynomial equations. It can also help in solving equations and understanding the relationships between different types of equations.

5. How do symmetry groups for roots relate to other areas of mathematics?

Symmetry groups for roots have connections to various areas of mathematics, including group theory, abstract algebra, and geometry. They also have applications in fields such as physics and cryptography.