A simple question on representations and tensor products

In summary, the tensor product representation of a group G on vector spaces V1 \otimes V2 is given by \pi_1 V_1 \otimes \pi_2 V_2.
vertices
I have question, can someone please check whether my answer is correct or not:

1)Let [tex]\pi_i[/tex] be representations of a group G on vector spaces Vi, i = 1, 2. Give a formula for the tensor product representation [tex]\pi_1 \otimes \pi_2[/tex] on [tex]V_1 \otimes V_2[/tex]

Answer: [tex]\pi_1 V_1 \otimes \pi_2 V_2[/tex]

2)Check that it obeys the representation property.

Answer: A representation is a group homomorphism, ie it satisfies:

[tex]\pi(g.h)= \pi(g) . \pi(h)[/tex]

Now,

[tex]
[\pi_1 V_1 \otimes \pi_2 V_2](g.h)
=\pi_1 V_1 (gh) \otimes \pi_2 V_2 (gh)
[/tex]

I am a little stuck here: we know that [tex]\pi_i[/tex] is a representation, can we also say that [tex]\pi_i V_i[/tex] is also a representation? If it is, we can use the homomorphism property and show that

[tex] \pi_1 V_1 (gh) \otimes \pi_2 V_2 (gh)=\pi_1 V_1 (g)\pi_1 V_1 (h) \otimes \pi_2 V_2 (g) \pi_2 V_2 (h)=[\pi_1 V_1 \otimes \pi_2 V_2](g)[\pi_1 V_1 \otimes \pi_2 V_2](h)[/tex]

which I think the question is trying to get at.

Physics news on Phys.org
If [tex]\pi_i[/tex] are representations, then they are functions [tex]G \to V_i[/tex], so how are they eating elements of V_i? You have things somewhat backwards here.

rochfor1 said:
If [tex]\pi_i[/tex] are representations, then they are functions [tex]G \to V_i[/tex], so how are they eating elements of V_i? You have things somewhat backwards here.

I think it's because [tex]\pi_i \in End (V_i)[/tex]

ah yes, excuse me...fair enough. You still have it a bit backwards though. [tex]\pi_i \not \in \operatorname{End}(V_i)[/tex], [tex]\pi_i(g) \in \operatorname{End}(V_i)[/tex] for all g in G. [tex]\pi_i : V \to \operatorname{End}(V_i)[/tex]. Pardon the initial confusion, its been a while since I though about this type of representation.

What do you mean by this? Answer: [tex]\pi_1 V_1 \otimes \pi_2 V_2[/tex]

Aren't you supposed to find a function [itex]\pi:G\rightarrow\mbox{End}(V_1\otimes V_2)[/itex] and show that it's a representation? The first idea that occurs to me is

[tex]\pi(g)=\pi_1(g)\otimes\pi_2(g)[/tex]

where the right-hand side is defined by

[tex]\pi_1(g)\otimes\pi_2(g)(x_1\otimes x_2)=\pi_1(g)(x_1)\otimes\pi_2(g)(x_2)[/itex]

I haven't checked if it satisfies the requirements.

(I think rochfor1's last LaTeX expression should be [itex]\pi_i : G \to \operatorname{End}(V_i)[/itex] ).

Indeed it should.

Hi Fredrik:

Well, I was mindlessly reeling off the following in my notes:

if [tex]A \in end(V)[/tex]

and [tex]B \in end (W)[/tex]

then

[tex]A \otimes B \in end(V \otimes W)[/tex], and this is defined via:

[tex](A \otimes B)(V \otimes W)= (AV) \otimes (AW)[/tex]

So I just assumed we can let [tex]A=\pi_1[/tex] and [tex]B=\pi_2[/tex],

This clearly is silly because it would imply [tex] \pi_1: V_1 \rightarrow V_1[/tex] and [tex]\pi_2: V_2 \rightarrow V_2[/tex], where the maps infact should be [tex] \pi_1: G \rightarrow V_1[/tex] and [tex] \pi_2: G \rightarrow V_2[/tex] as you point out.

I think you're first idea is correct.

Thanks.

1. What are representations in mathematics?

Representations in mathematics refer to the abstract mathematical structures that describe how an object or system can be presented or modeled. In other words, representations provide a way to describe or represent something in a formalized and mathematical way.

2. How are representations used in physics?

Representations are used extensively in physics to model and describe physical systems. This is because they provide a powerful tool for understanding the behavior and properties of complex systems, such as quantum systems or symmetries in space and time.

3. What is a tensor product?

A tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two or more mathematical objects, such as vectors or matrices, to create a new object. It is often used in the context of representations to combine different representations together to form a new representation.

4. How does a tensor product relate to representations?

A tensor product is used to combine different representations together, such as combining representations of different physical systems, to create a new representation that describes the combined system. This is important in physics as it allows for the analysis and understanding of more complex systems.

5. What are some applications of tensor products in physics?

Tensor products have a wide range of applications in physics, including in quantum mechanics, general relativity, and particle physics. They are used to describe the symmetries of physical systems, model interactions between particles, and analyze the properties of quantum states, among others.