Increase File Size: A Guy I Knew

In summary, your friend increased the size of a file without actually increasing the space occupied on disk. He did this by compression.
anahata
Anyone know how to increase the size of a file, without actually increasing the space occupied on disk. I knew a guy who did this.

Computer science news on Phys.org
anahata said:
Anyone know how to increase the size of a file, without actually increasing the space occupied on disk. I knew a guy who did this.
Compression?

If you started with a 100K file, you could compress it (say, using zip) to, say, 1/10th its uncompressed size. This means you could increase the original file to 1M, then compress it so that it still took up only 100K on disk.

What it comes to be like this,
say the file size is 200kb, he somehow made the file size attribute ,say 2MB without changing the space on disk, ie, it still costs just 200kb disk space, but for all other purposes it acts like a 2MB file.
For example, wen uploading the file etc, it the properties will be displayed as 2MB.

anahata said:
say the file size is 200kb, he somehow made the file size attribute ,say 2MB
Um, are you sure it wasn't a 2000kb file (which is a 2MB file?)

Google says the answer is to either create sparse files or do a compression trick.

anahata said:
What it comes to be like this,
say the file size is 200kb, he somehow made the file size attribute ,say 2MB without changing the space on disk, ie, it still costs just 200kb disk space, but for all other purposes it acts like a 2MB file.
For example, wen uploading the file etc, it the properties will be displayed as 2MB.

It happens in NTFS file system (not sure if this feature is available a Linux file system...need to check that out). It has a feature to compress the files in real time demoting it's already demoted performance in some systems.

Cause of this the "size of file" and "size of file on disk" are different.

But your friend did something opposite. I think this might be possible by tampering the default MFT.

No idea about NTFS, but on FAT each file is described by an entry in directory table - one of the fields there is the file size. Modify just these four bytes and file will be reported as larger (or smaller) then it is in reality. It can't be done on the OS level, but any disk editing software able to deal with the disk on the sector level will do.

What is the "Increase File Size: A Guy I Knew" project about?

The "Increase File Size: A Guy I Knew" project is a study on how to store and manage large files on a computer system. It explores various methods for increasing file size and their potential implications on storage capacity and performance.

What inspired the "Increase File Size: A Guy I Knew" project?

The project was inspired by the ever-growing demand for larger storage capacity and the increasing size of files, particularly in the field of data science and research. The project aims to address the challenges of dealing with large files and find innovative solutions for managing them.

What are the potential benefits of increasing file size?

Increasing file size can result in more efficient use of storage space, reduced costs for data storage, and improved performance for applications that require large amounts of data. It can also open up possibilities for storing and analyzing larger datasets, leading to breakthroughs in research and technology.

What are some of the methods used to increase file size?

Some methods for increasing file size include compression techniques, deduplication, splitting files into smaller chunks, and using different file systems that support larger file sizes. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the most suitable method may vary depending on the specific needs of the project.

What are the potential challenges of increasing file size?

Increasing file size can also bring about challenges, such as compatibility issues with older systems, longer processing times, and increased risk of data loss. It is important to carefully consider these challenges and weigh them against the potential benefits before implementing any changes to increase file size.