Is the Uncertainty Principle simply a measurement problem?

In summary, the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle relates to the measurement of both position and momentum of a particle. This principle states that when one property is measured, the other becomes uncertain due to the disturbance caused by the measurement. However, there is a common misconception that the uncertainty principle is a fundamental limitation of our ability to know the exact properties of a particle, but it is actually a measurement problem. Some argue that if there was a way to obtain data on a particle's exact path and velocity without disturbing it, the uncertainty principle would not apply. This statement raises the question of whether the particle truly has a definite position and velocity at all times.
cronxeh
Gold Member
As you all know there is this Heisenberg's Uncercainty Principle. Way I see it, the uncertainty principle relates to the measurement of both position and momentum of the particle/electron/etc-small-subatomic-anything at the same time. Among other things like energy-time, energy-halftime, etc.

But here is the catch and common misconception (or perhaps I just simply did not get it). The principle relates to the measurement - that is bouncing a laser to measure one thing, disturbing and pertubating the system making the measurement of another very uncertain. So the problem is that you smack an electron with laser to measure it's position, and now you can't know what it's velocity was.

Is it me, or the scientific community in general (Hawking, Heisenberg) have completely burried the possibility that the uncertainty principle relates to nothing more but a measurement problem? Is it plausible that if there was a way, through some geek of nature, to actually have the data, the chance, the let it be known as INSIGHT, into a particle's exact path and velocity from the environment, without ever touching the boundaries of that particle. If there was such a chance, and it was plausible to find it - is that all the problem is here? I don't argue with measurement problem of spin orientation and all the superpositions, but the position and velocity can not be uncertain, not just from the common sense point of view.

The particle must have a definite position and velocity and mass at the same time, at any time. Please comment on this statement and let me know if there is something I missed

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you miss the WHOLE thread titled "Is uncertaninty principle unbeatable?.. " in this very same QM section?

Zz.

sorry just noticed it, and posted there.

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle, also known as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa.

2. Who discovered the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle was discovered by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

3. How does the Uncertainty Principle affect our understanding of the physical world?

The Uncertainty Principle challenges the classical notion of determinism, which states that if the initial conditions of a system are known, the future behavior of the system can be predicted with 100% accuracy. The Uncertainty Principle shows that at the quantum level, there is inherent uncertainty in the behavior of particles, and the future cannot be predicted with certainty.

4. Can the Uncertainty Principle be observed in everyday life?

No, the effects of the Uncertainty Principle are only observable at the quantum level, which is incredibly small and not visible to the naked eye. However, the principles of quantum mechanics, including the Uncertainty Principle, are used in many modern technologies, such as computer memory and lasers.

5. Is the Uncertainty Principle still considered a valid concept in modern physics?

Yes, the Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is widely accepted by the scientific community. It has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is used in many areas of physics, including particle physics and quantum computing.