Solution to the exact differential equation

In summary: The textbook solution for c is c = x^2 - y^(-2) + 2ln(y). The speaker also mentions that they got the same solution by directly integrating the ODE, but with a positive sign instead of a negative sign for the middle term. They also note that the equation is separable and can be solved that way. The speaker provides their own solution of c = 2ln(y) - y^(-2) + x^2 and mentions that the constant c could also be written as 2c, but it is just a constant. In summary, the conversation discusses the integrating factor and various methods
fresh
(x^2)(y^3) + x(1 + y^2)y' = 0

the integrating factor to make the above equation exact is (1)/(xy^3)

i have worked this equation out and have c = .5x^2 as the solution; however, the textbook says the solution is c = x^2 - y^(-2) + 2lnlyl

apparently they got this solution because h'(y) = y^(-3) + y(-1)
i found h'(y) to be equal to zero.

some sort of feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get a positive sign with a factor of 2 for the middle term compared with the textbook solution. Are you sure you typed it correctly?

I just did a direct integration of the ODE since it's separable.

Do you understand that "c= .5x^2" says that x is a constant? What happened to y in your solution?

By the way, this equation is separable. It's easier to do it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a seperable equation from the get go. I got the book's answer.

It separates to [(1 + y^2) / y^3 ] dy = -x dx . Once you integrate both sides you get :

ln(y) - 1/2y^2 = -(x^2 / 2) + c. Solve for c gives you :

c = 2ln(y) - y^-2 + x^2 Don't worry about the fact that c would really be 2c, because it is just a constant.

:)
-A

1. What is a solution to an exact differential equation?

A solution to an exact differential equation is a function that satisfies the equation and its initial conditions. It represents the relationship between the dependent and independent variables in the equation.

2. How is an exact differential equation different from an ordinary differential equation?

An exact differential equation is a type of ordinary differential equation where the coefficients of the variables are independent of the order of differentiation. This means that the equation can be written in the form of a total differential, making it easier to solve.

3. What are the steps to solving an exact differential equation?

The steps to solving an exact differential equation are: 1) Check if the equation is exact, 2) Find the integrating factor, 3) Multiply the equation by the integrating factor, 4) Integrate both sides, and 5) Solve for the constant of integration using the initial conditions.

4. What is the role of the integrating factor in solving an exact differential equation?

The integrating factor is a function that is used to convert an exact differential equation into a total differential. It is found by taking the partial derivative of the coefficient of one variable with respect to the other variable and then integrating it.

5. Can an exact differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, an exact differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the constant of integration can take on different values, leading to different solutions. However, these solutions will still satisfy the equation and its initial conditions.