Generate voltage pulse using pc?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of generating voltage pulses using a computer. It is mentioned that a sound card can be used, as well as the serial port, to produce different types of pulses. The amplitude of the pulses may vary depending on the computer, and the output on the serial port is inverted. The purpose of the pulses is also questioned.
aguy
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to generate voltage pulses (square or sinuosoidal, +/- 5V) using a computer. If yes, then how would I go about doing it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You could use a sound card which are basically just glorified DAC's. Just make sure you're not drawing too much current which would be very bad.

Not only that but you could just as easily make an oscilloscope with a typical sound card's inputs. (That actually sounds kind of cool)

You can also produce an output on the serial port which will give +/- voltages.

You could use a program like Hyper Term which comes with Windows, or write something yourself, to get different combinations of pulses.

The serial port produces a good square wave pulse. The amplitude will vary with different computers, but it could be up to +/- 15 volts.

Note that the output on the serial port is inverted, so a "1" or logic high is actually the negative voltage.

Do you have an application that requires pulses or is it just a general question?

1. How can I generate a voltage pulse using my PC?

To generate a voltage pulse using your PC, you will need a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) and a software program that can control the DAC. The DAC will convert the digital signal from your computer into an analog voltage output. You can then use this output to generate a voltage pulse.

2. What software programs can I use to generate a voltage pulse?

Some commonly used software programs for generating a voltage pulse using your PC include LabVIEW, MATLAB, and Python. These programs have built-in functions that allow you to control the DAC and generate the desired voltage pulse.

3. What is the purpose of generating a voltage pulse using my PC?

Generating a voltage pulse using your PC can be useful for various purposes, such as testing electronic circuits, controlling external devices, or conducting experiments in the field of electronics or physics. It allows for precise and programmable control of the voltage pulse.

4. Can I generate different types of voltage pulses using my PC?

Yes, you can generate different types of voltage pulses using your PC, depending on the capabilities of your DAC and the software program you are using. Some common types of voltage pulses include square waves, sine waves, and pulse-width modulated (PWM) signals.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when generating a voltage pulse using my PC?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when generating a voltage pulse using your PC. Make sure to use appropriate voltage levels and follow proper handling and grounding techniques to avoid electrical hazards. It is also recommended to use a circuit breaker or fuse in case of any unexpected voltage spikes.