Calculate Distance of Rack & Pinion Gears

• Thread starter Jones1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gears
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding information on calculating the distance a rack will move. The mechanism involves a 2:1 ratio where the rack moves forward and then returns with each revolution of the pinion. The person suggests using standard gear ratio calculations and provides a link for reference. They also mention the importance of knowing the tooth pitch and number of teeth to calculate the distance. The conversation ends with the reminder that 1 rotation typically results in a linear movement of 1 circumference.
Jones1987
I have looked everywhere to try and find how to calculate the distance a rack will move.

I have a mechanism where every revolution of the pinion, the rack will move one direction, then it will move back in the opposite direction. So I assume the ratio will be 2:1, every one rev the pinion does, the rack will move forward, then return. I can find loads of material on gear ratios etc, but nothing on how to work out the distance a rack will move depending on the wheel diameter and No. of teeth.

Or do I just use standard gear ratio calculations? Such as this: http://www.schsm.org/html/gear_ratio_calculations.html

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You just need to know the tooth pitch of the gear/rack, and the number of teeth on each. Given these numbers, one revolution of the pinion will move the rack (x) teeth, which you can convert to distance given the tooth pitch (teeth/distance).

At it's very basic level 1 rotation will mean a linear movement of 1 circumfrence. 1:1 ratio.

I'm guessing that wasn't the question you were asking though. I just thought i'd say it just incase this was a 'wood for the trees' problem.

1. How do you calculate the distance between rack and pinion gears?

The distance between rack and pinion gears can be calculated by using the formula D = (2r + p)π, where D is the distance, r is the radius of the pinion gear, and p is the pitch of the rack gear.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the distance between rack and pinion gears?

Calculating the distance between rack and pinion gears allows engineers and designers to determine the appropriate size and placement of these gears in a mechanical system. It also helps to ensure smooth and efficient operation of the gears.

3. How does the pitch of the rack gear affect the distance between rack and pinion gears?

The pitch of the rack gear refers to the distance between each tooth on the gear. A larger pitch will result in a larger distance between the rack and pinion gears, and vice versa. This is because the pitch directly affects the size of the gear and how many teeth are present.

4. Can the distance between rack and pinion gears be adjusted?

Yes, the distance between rack and pinion gears can be adjusted by changing the size of the gears or the pitch of the rack gear. This allows for customization and optimization of the gears for specific mechanical systems.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the distance between rack and pinion gears?

Aside from gear size and pitch, other factors such as gear material, lubrication, and alignment can also affect the distance between rack and pinion gears. It is important to consider all of these factors when designing and calculating the distance between these gears.