What is the true purpose of Smart Grid and how does it affect consumers?

In summary, the Smart Grid is a system that allows utilities to monitor and control the energy usage of their customers through the use of smart meters, smart appliances, and other technologies. The Smart Grid represents an unprecedented opportunity to move the energy industry into a new era of reliability, availability and efficiency, thus contributing to both the economic and the environmental well-being of our nation.
modather50
All about smart grid, New ideas and news about what's happening now in this area.

Including Smart meters, Renewable Energy (Solar and Wind), Green Cars and Green IT.

Lets start from the beginning

What is the definition of Smart Grid?

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.oe.energy.gov/DocumentsandMedia/DOE_SG_Book_Single_Pages(1).pdf

To me, the "Smart Grid" sounds more like a way for the utilities to make more money. i.e. They don't have to invest in more generation or transmission lines. That makes me NOT a fan of the idea.

Ultimately, tapping the collaborative power of millions of consumers to shed load will put significant brakes on the need for new infrastructure at any cost.

The bold text is by me and is why I'm opposed to the idea. In effect, it is another government control.

How Does Smart Grid Benefit You?

Smart Grid builds on the electrical infrastructure in use today but adds communication and control capabilities that allow the operation of the electric grid in a more efficient, optimized and reliable manner. Smart Grid takes advantage of advanced technologies such as two-way communication, smart metering, distribution automation and various forms of renewable energy such as wind and solar. The Smart Grid represents an unprecedented opportunity to move the energy industry into a new era of reliability, availability and efficiency, thus contributing to both the economic and the environmental well-being of
our nation.
The Smart Grid is more than the implementation of anyone technology. The transition from today’s grid to the grid of tomorrow will be profound, with the transformation taking place significantly faster than what has been experienced in the utility industry thus far.
Smart energy demand is a broad concept. It includes any energy-user actions to:
• reduce peak demand, • shift usage to off-peak hours, • lower total energy consumption, • actively manage electric vehicle charging, • actively manage other usage to respond to solar, wind, and other renewable resources, and • buy more efficient appliances and equipment over time based on a better understanding of how energy is used by each appliance or item of equipment.
All of these actions minimize adverse impacts on electricity grids and maximize consumer savings.

Smart Energy Demand mechanisms and tactics include:
• smart meters, • dynamic pricing, • smart thermostats and smart appliances, • automated control of equipment, • real-time and next day energy information feedback to electricity users, • usage by appliance data, and • scheduling and control of loads such as electric vehicle chargers, home area networks (HANs), and others.

dlgoff said:
To me, the "Smart Grid" sounds more like a way for the utilities to make more money. i.e. They don't have to invest in more generation or transmission lines. That makes me NOT a fan of the idea.

The bold text is by me and is why I'm opposed to the idea. In effect, it is another government control.
Central Maine Power has federal grant money to install "smart" meters on all our residences. They claim it is to "inform" consumers, though the ultimate goal is to enforce "voluntary" load-shedding through differential time-of-day pricing. Maine is a large net exporter of electricity already (hydro-dams), so any power-usage that CMP can make us cut back is more power that they can wheel onto the grid to make more money in the NE market. Free money!

modather50 said:
How Does Smart Grid Benefit You?
Having worked in SCADA for a electrical power utility, I understand how knowing/monitoring their control area is a great benefit. e.g. Economic generation control (which unit to ramp based on system load, fuel cost, efficiency, etc.), system stability (wheeling power on a schedule for one) and system reliability (opening and closing breakers to route power).

So I guess with the state of grid operation today, I'd have to say reliability. Also the cost/kWH is going to be a little lower when it cost them less from the automation (i.e. after you pay for their equipment investment cost)

My beef would be if it were mandatory to let them turn my air conditioner off when their system is stressed (during peaks). In my opinion, if they want to make more money, they need to invest in more generation.

turbo-1 said:
Central Maine Power has federal grant money to install "smart" meters on all our residences. They claim it is to "inform" consumers, though the ultimate goal is to enforce "voluntary" load-shedding through differential time-of-day pricing. Maine is a large net exporter of electricity already (hydro-dams), so any power-usage that CMP can make us cut back is more power that they can wheel onto the grid to make more money in the NE market. Free money!
Same thing here on my little REA. This association, if I'm not mistaken, only owns a small portion of a generator completely out of their service area. So their rates vary depending on what they can buy it for. There's really no reason to justify load shedding if they don't have generation is there? Other than substation transformer ratings I guess.

What is a smart power grid?

A smart power grid is an advanced electrical grid that utilizes digital technology and communication systems to monitor and control the flow of electricity. It is designed to improve efficiency, reliability, and sustainability of the power grid.

How does a smart power grid work?

A smart power grid uses sensors, controls, and communication technologies to gather data and communicate information about electricity usage and demand. This data is used to optimize the distribution of electricity, reduce outages, and integrate renewable energy sources.

What are the benefits of a smart power grid?

A smart power grid offers numerous benefits, including improved reliability and efficiency, reduced energy costs, increased use of renewable energy, and better management of peak electricity demand. It also allows for real-time monitoring and response to power outages, which can help mitigate their impact.

What are the challenges of implementing a smart power grid?

The main challenges of implementing a smart power grid include the high cost of upgrading existing infrastructure, the need for advanced technology and communication systems, and the potential for cybersecurity threats. There may also be challenges in regulatory and policy frameworks to support the implementation of a smart grid.

Is a smart power grid environmentally friendly?

A smart power grid has the potential to be more environmentally friendly than traditional power grids. By integrating renewable energy sources and optimizing energy usage, it can help reduce carbon emissions and promote a more sustainable energy system. However, the production and disposal of the technology used in a smart grid may also have environmental impacts to consider.