How start studying Topological Insulators

In summary: The original papers are by von Klitzing (1980), Tsui et al. (1982), and Laughlin (1981).In summary, the person is starting a PhD in Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics with a focus on Topological Insulators. They do not have a background in Condensed Matter Physics but have knowledge in General Relativity, Quantum Field Theory, and Statistical Mechanics. They are asking for recommendations on initial topics and books to study in order to understand topological insulators. The recommended starting point is the article "Z2 Topological Order and the Quantum Spin Hall Effect" by Kane and Mele. Other recommended topics include electron band theory and Chern classes, with books such as "Introduction to Solid State
trustinlust
Hi all,

I'am starting a Phd In Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics, and I would like to produce a thesis on the Topological Insulators topic. Unfortunately I don't have a background in Consensed Matter Physics (in my curriculum there are exams about General Relativity, Quantum Field Theory and Statistical Mechanics) and I know only a bit of Solid State Physics. So, here's the question: what are the initial and essential topics which I should study and know (and on which books) to start managing (in a good way) topological insulators as soon as possible?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This article should be your starting point:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1002.3895

Not only does it provide a very nice introduction into the field, it also provides a large number of references to articles which started the field.

It's hard to point out what you exactly need to know to understand these papers. Part of a PhD is to figure out what mathematical tools and physical principles you need to learn to understand the articles and perform your own research. If you have had a solid introduction into Quantum Field Theory then I highly recommend diving into one or more books on quantum field theory methods in condensed matter physics, such as:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521769752/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198566336/?tag=pfamazon01-20

These books are should be accessible enough.

A very important aspect of topological insulators that comes to mind is electron band theory. A book on solid state physics like Ashcroft and Mermin or Kittel should do the trick.

Another mathematical tool that is frequently used is that of Chern classes. Try Nakahara.

But again, start with the article I mentioned in the beginning (Kane is one of the people that made this field what it is today). Dig up the articles they refer to -- you'll soon come across concepts that you won't be familiar with. The trick is to find a proper source which explains it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Prins
Thanks for the exhaustive reply, Xepma. Only some other question.

Do you refer to "Geometry, Topology and Physics" Nakahara's book? Is it correct?

Someone told me that Quantum Hall Effect is the starting point of all the topological problems in Condensed Matter, and that it should be useful to start studying this subject. Can you give me some references for this topic too?

Thanks

An other question:

In future I would like studying Strongly Correlated Systems in Condensed Matter, too. Do you think these two topics (Strongly Correlated Systems and Topological Insulators) are correlated? Or it would be - considering how highly specialized the research in physics is, nowadays - a considerable change of research area? (different methods, different mathematical tools used,...)

I studied the quantum hall effect in the spring as a reading course, and I mostly read the original papers. As long as you have some basic knowledge of solid-state physics, they are pretty accessible as long as you start at the beginning and then work your way up. I found the original papers more useful than textbooks since they went into much more detail. Eventually you'll need to learn some algebraic topology to get the full picture (that's where Chern classes come up, as mentioned above).

1. What are topological insulators?

Topological insulators are materials that behave as insulators in their interior, but have conducting properties on their surface. This is due to their unique electronic band structure, which allows for the movement of electrons along the surface of the material without resistance.

2. How do topological insulators differ from regular insulators?

Unlike regular insulators, topological insulators have a gapless surface state where electrons can move freely without resistance. This surface state is protected by topology, meaning it cannot be easily disrupted or destroyed by external factors such as impurities or defects in the material.

3. What are the potential applications of topological insulators?

Topological insulators have a wide range of potential applications, including in quantum computing, spintronics, and energy harvesting. They also have potential uses in creating more efficient electronic devices and improving data storage and transfer technologies.

4. How can I start studying topological insulators?

To start studying topological insulators, it is important to have a strong foundation in solid-state physics and quantum mechanics. Familiarity with concepts such as band theory and symmetry is also helpful. Additionally, there are many resources available online and in textbooks that provide an introduction to the field of topological insulators.

5. What current research is being done on topological insulators?

There is a significant amount of ongoing research on topological insulators, with a focus on understanding their unique properties and potential applications. Some current research topics include exploring new materials with topological properties, developing methods for controlling and manipulating the surface states of topological insulators, and investigating their potential uses in quantum technologies.