Physics Courses/ Topics used in FE

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which courses to take for studying Financial Engineering as a math major. They have already taken the usual math courses and are considering taking Mathematical Physics & Statistical Mechanics. They are also interested in the application of Path Integrals (by Feynman) to Financial Markets. Suggestions and comments are welcome.
doodle_sack
Hi, I searched the forum but couldn't come up with any answers, so here goes my question: What are the topics/ courses that are used in Financial Engineering?

I have the chance to take up to 4 courses (usual UG Physics courses) and my pick was Mathematical Physics & Statistical Mechanics, but I am not quite sure if I am doing the correct thing. Given my interest is to study Financial Engineering, could you tell me what are all the Physics courses that would help me in this regard.

P.S: I am a math major, so I took/ will be taking all the usual math courses (Calc, Real Analysis, Topology, Complex Analysis, Algebra, Diff geo, PDE, ODE, Logic, etc,.).

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, forgot to mention, my Physics background is Classical Mechanics I at the level of Mechanics: Berkeley Physics Course, Vol. 1, by C. Kittel, et al, Newtonian Mechanics: MIT Introductory Physics Series, by A. P. French.

Thanks physiker, any other comments are welcome.

I would say that the courses you have chosen, Mathematical Physics and Statistical Mechanics, are excellent choices for someone interested in Financial Engineering. These courses focus on mathematical and statistical methods, which are crucial in understanding and analyzing financial systems and data.

In addition, I would also recommend taking courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. These topics provide a strong foundation in understanding the physical principles that govern financial systems, such as the laws of supply and demand and the concept of equilibrium.

Furthermore, courses in quantum mechanics and computational physics could also be beneficial, as they involve complex mathematical models and advanced data analysis techniques that are applicable to financial engineering.

Overall, a strong background in physics, mathematics, and statistics will provide a solid foundation for understanding and analyzing financial systems. It is also important to keep in mind that in addition to technical knowledge, soft skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication are also crucial for success in the field of financial engineering.

1. What are the main topics covered in physics courses used in FE?

The main topics covered in physics courses used in FE include mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics.

2. How are these topics relevant to FE?

These topics are relevant to FE because they provide a foundation for understanding the principles and laws that govern physical systems, which are essential for designing and analyzing engineering systems and structures.

3. What skills are required for success in physics courses used in FE?

Success in physics courses used in FE requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills, mathematical proficiency, and the ability to think critically and apply concepts to real-world scenarios.

4. What are some common challenges students face in physics courses used in FE?

Some common challenges students face in physics courses used in FE include understanding abstract concepts, applying mathematical principles, and grasping the interconnections between different topics.

5. How can students prepare for physics courses used in FE?

Students can prepare for physics courses used in FE by reviewing fundamental concepts in mathematics and physics, practicing problem-solving, and developing a strong conceptual understanding of the topics covered.