What are the charge options for baryons?

In summary, a baryon may have a charge of -1/3 e, 0 e, 2/3 e, or 4/3 e. Protons and neutrons are two examples of baryons with charges of 1 e and 0 e, respectively.
NYROCKFAN
A baryon may have a charge of:

a) -1/3 e
b) 0 e
c) 2/3 e
d) 4/3 e

I have no idea what a baryon is... and I've spent over 20 minutes online trying to answer this simple question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok... I read that but I still don't get it.

My guess would be choice b) 0 e.

Am I correct?

<looks at cyby and asks> "Are you stalking me?" :)

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/particles/hadron.html

Read under "Baryon", and look at the two EXAMPLES of baryons that were given. Anything more, I might as well do this problem for you and you would have learned nothing.

Zz.

P.S. Did you miss the "Homework Zone" section when looking for a place to post this?

I did read... they're protons and neutrons. So, that's why I asked "Is it 0 e?" for a neutron.

And this isn't homework... it's in a review packet for my final exam, but the packet is all the things he didn't teach us that we might need to know.

Well, what are the charges of the baryons listed? Since you know that two examples of them are neutrons and protons, you can easily deduce their charge quantities...

1. What is a baryon?

A baryon is a subatomic particle that is composed of three quarks, which are elementary particles that make up protons and neutrons.

2. What does it mean for a baryon to have a charge?

A charge refers to the electrical property of a particle. Baryons can have positive, negative, or neutral charges depending on the combination of quarks they are made of.

3. How is the charge of a baryon determined?

The charge of a baryon is determined by the sum of the charges of its three quarks. The up quark has a charge of +2/3, the down quark has a charge of -1/3, and the strange quark has a charge of -1/3.

4. Can a baryon have a fractional charge?

No, a baryon cannot have a fractional charge because quarks always have integer charges. The fractional charges of quarks are only apparent when they combine to form particles with charges that are multiples of 1/3.

5. Why is the charge of a baryon important?

The charge of a baryon is important because it determines how the particle interacts with other particles and electromagnetic fields. It also plays a role in the formation of atoms and the stability of matter.