Neutron Decay in Neutron Stars: Gravity or Half-Life?

In summary, the conversation discusses the half life of a neutron and its stability in different scenarios. It is noted that the half life for a free neutron is approximately 10 minutes, and that neutrons are stable in a nucleus due to the strong force. In the case of neutron stars, the stability of neutrons is attributed to the electron chemical potential rather than gravity.
Mordred
On decays I have only a preliminary understanding. I was looking up the half life of a neutron for another reason.
The value I found for neutron decay for a free neutron was 10.3 seconds. Hope that's reasonably accurate.
Anyways knowing that neutrons are stable in a nucleus held together by the strong force.
In the case of neutron stars which are comprised mainly of neutrons which is said to be held by gravity not the strong force.
Is the local gravity allowing neutron stability or does the neutrons have the above mentioned half life?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mordred said:
The value I found for neutron decay for a free neutron was 10.3 seconds. Hope that's reasonably accurate.
Wrong order of magnitude. 10 minutes, not seconds.
Mordred said:
Anyways knowing that neutrons are stable in a nucleus held together by the strong force.
In the case of neutron stars which are comprised mainly of neutrons which is said to be held by gravity not the strong force.
Is the local gravity allowing neutron stability or does the neutrons have the above mentioned half life?

In neutron stars, it is electron chemical potential that makes neutrons stable. Gravity as such is irrelevant.

Lol I meant minutes not sure why I typed seconds. Anyways thanks for the answer.

1. What is neutron decay at a neutron star?

Neutron decay at a neutron star is the process by which neutrons within the star can transform into other particles, such as protons, electrons, and neutrinos.

2. Why does neutron decay occur at neutron stars?

Neutron decay occurs at neutron stars because the intense pressure and density at the core of the star can cause neutrons to break down into their constituent parts.

3. How does neutron decay impact the stability of a neutron star?

Neutron decay can impact the stability of a neutron star by releasing energy and causing the star to shrink in size. This can lead to a collapse of the star, resulting in a supernova explosion.

4. Is neutron decay at neutron stars related to nuclear fusion?

No, neutron decay is not related to nuclear fusion. Fusion is the process by which smaller atoms combine to form larger atoms, while neutron decay involves the breakdown of a single particle into smaller particles.

5. What can the study of neutron decay at neutron stars tell us about the universe?

The study of neutron decay at neutron stars can provide insights into the behavior of matter under extreme conditions, as well as the mechanisms involved in supernova explosions and the formation of elements in the universe.