Study in Britain or America: Advantages/Disadvantages

• Thread starter no name
  • Start date
In summary: The inventor of Nocturnes.In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking advice on where to study abroad for telecom or IT. They ask for a comparison of the advantages and disadvantages of studying in Britain and America, including the standard of studying, studying system, and combining certificates. Some responses mention the difficulty of studying in Britain and the higher standards, while others mention the appeal of living in Britain. The conversation also touches on cultural differences, weather, and university programs. Some suggest that the decision should be based on the individual's personal preferences and goals.
no name
hey ALL
i will graduate this year ... ... i want to study either telecom or IT abroad ... but i am to choose between Britain and America ...
can anyone help me by listing the advantages and the disadvantages of studying in both countries .. e.g. standard of studying ... studying system ... possibility of combinig certificates ( combine IT studies and Telecom ) ... and any other points u feel is important
please help
i will be very grateful
cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the particular university programs, not the country.

I believe that its more difficult to study in Britain, the standards are higher in terms of material etc. Plus, I can't speak for you, but I would enjoy living in Britain more than in US. I don't know where you live currently, but if you are European you will likely think many US citizens are bumb and brainwashed. Religiosity is big here now, and the culture is low except for in big cities like New York.

Sorry, this is more about country life style than the actual schooling, but I thought you would benefit from knowing. I have lived outside of US, and live/study in Michigan now. I want to go back to Europe lol

thanx barbie
anyone else can benifit me
thanx in advance

Well I don't really know what kind of answer you're expecting.

Both countries have some excellent universities, and both countries have some relatively poor universities. Trying to compare the quality of teaching between two countries would be pretty pointless. For IT or Telecommunications, (and in fact any other subject) you'll find some excellent programmes at both countries. In any case, I wouldn't decide which country I wanted to move to just by the looking at the quality of teaching, and nobody here is going to be able to tell you which country you'd prefer!

Have you visited either the US or the UK?

The weather is better in most parts of the US and the population is generally better looking. Gotta love that British wit, but I've never been the biggest fan of England (maybe because I'm half-Irish?). It's hard to argue with universities that have had such men as Isaac Newton and David Hume hold professorships, though.

loseyourname said:
The weather is better in most parts of the US...

Not better, just different! There's a saying we have in Manchester - "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute".

brewnog said:
Not better, just different! There's a saying we have in Manchester - "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute".

Did Manchester steal that one from California, or the other way around?

Old Bob Hope joke: "California is the only place where you can freeze to death under a flowering rosebush."

I suggest this thread be moved to academic guidance where folks like Zz and jcsd might chime in.

No Name, it would help if you provided more background, such as where you are from, what you expect, etc.

I would study in England. It's good to learn other languages.

If you like to wash your hands conveniently, using warm water, you might want to consider the US. In the UK they have these strange plumbing fixtures with separate taps for hot and cold water.

loseyourname said:
The weather is better in most parts of the US and the population is generally better looking. Gotta love that British wit, but I've never been the biggest fan of England (maybe because I'm half-Irish?). It's hard to argue with universities that have had such men as Isaac Newton and David Hume hold professorships, though.

hey, Ireland has had some people in trinity as well you know.. The one that comes up in my mind is Will Hamilton.

I'd like to assure juvenal that mixer taps are actually in use in the UK.

We really should know where your from if we're to stereotype accuratly, can you give us more information about yourself?

As a rule I tend to say: If you plan to work in the USA, study in the USA, otherwise go for Europe.

And again, you should study actual universities over the country as a whole, what's your grades like, what level of university are you looking for and what area are you going to study?

Bladibla said:
hey, Ireland has had some people in trinity as well you know.. The one that comes up in my mind is Will Hamilton.

Of course. Hume was actually at Edinburgh, too, not in England. There are many great universities in that part of the world, on both islands.

Well, where are you from? You want to get as opposite experience as possible. Don't base it off of an educational decision, unless there's a single school or environment that blows the other out of the water. Studying abroad is about getting a mutlicultural experience, and building your character.

It's really hard to compare the two countries. Without more information, I couldn't even make a recommendation to you of where to study within the US if you were to choose the US. We have a pretty big country here and it's quite varied in climate, population density, cultural attitudes, etc. Even those of us living in the US can experience culture shock when moving from one part of the country to another.

loseyourname said:
Of course. Hume was actually at Edinburgh, too, not in England. There are many great universities in that part of the world, on both islands.

Exactly. With the exception of Newton, A lot of the well known scientists are not pure english, Dirac for example.

Personally, i would LOVE to live in Ireland. The land where John Field was born.

What are the advantages of studying in Britain or America?

There are many advantages to studying in Britain or America, including access to top-ranked universities, a diverse and multicultural student population, and networking opportunities. Additionally, both countries have a strong reputation for academic excellence and offer a wide range of academic programs and research opportunities.

What are the disadvantages of studying in Britain or America?

Some potential disadvantages of studying in Britain or America include the high cost of living, especially in major cities, and the expensive tuition fees at top universities. Additionally, international students may face cultural and language barriers, and may experience homesickness or culture shock.

Is it better to study in Britain or America?

The answer to this question ultimately depends on personal preferences and goals. Both Britain and America have excellent education systems, so it is important to research and consider factors such as program offerings, location, cost, and cultural fit to determine which country may be the best fit for you.

How can studying in Britain or America benefit my career?

Studying in Britain or America can greatly benefit your career by providing you with a world-class education, access to top employers and industries, and a global network of professionals. Additionally, studying abroad can demonstrate your adaptability, independence, and cross-cultural communication skills to potential employers.

Can I work while studying in Britain or America?

Yes, international students are typically allowed to work part-time while studying in Britain or America. However, there may be restrictions on the number of hours you can work and the types of jobs you can take. It is important to research and understand the visa regulations for working while studying in these countries.