Time-Dependent Degenerate Pertubation Theory for 3x3 matrix

In summary, to find the energy eigenvalues to 2nd order, the perturbation in the 2x2 subspace needs to be diagonalized. This can be done by forming a 2x2 matrix with elements that correspond to the eigenvectors of H0 and the perturbation.
jcharles513

Homework Statement

H0 = [2,0,0;0,2,0;0,0,4]
H1 = [0,1,0;1,0,1;0,1,0]

Find energy eigenvalues to 2nd order.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to diagonalize the perturbation in the 2x2 subspace (for my 2 degenerate eignevalues of 2 but I'm not sure how to diagonalize my perturbation in this subspace. As far as I can tell H1 is not block diagonal so I can't separate it. What am I missing? From there I think I can do the rest of the problem. Just stuck here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##|u_1\rangle## and ##|u_2\rangle## be the eigenvectors of H0 that correspond to the degenerate eigenvalue.

Form the 2x2 matrix ##V## with elements ##V_{11} = \langle u_1|H_1|u_1\rangle##, ##V_{12} = \langle u_1|H_1|u_2\rangle##, etc.

That's the 2x2 matrix that you need to diagonalize.

1. What is the purpose of Time-Dependent Degenerate Pertubation Theory for 3x3 matrix?

Time-Dependent Degenerate Pertubation Theory for 3x3 matrix is a mathematical tool used to study the behavior of a system over time when it is subject to small perturbations. It is particularly useful in understanding the response of degenerate energy levels in a 3x3 matrix to external stimuli.

2. How does Time-Dependent Degenerate Pertubation Theory for 3x3 matrix differ from other pertubation theories?

Unlike other pertubation theories, which are limited to studying the behavior of a system under small perturbations at a single point in time, Time-Dependent Degenerate Pertubation Theory for 3x3 matrix allows for the study of a system's response to perturbations over a period of time.

3. What are the main assumptions of Time-Dependent Degenerate Pertubation Theory for 3x3 matrix?

The main assumptions of Time-Dependent Degenerate Pertubation Theory for 3x3 matrix are that the pertubation is small compared to the system's energy levels, and that the pertubation is applied for a relatively short period of time.

4. Can Time-Dependent Degenerate Pertubation Theory for 3x3 matrix be applied to systems with more than 3 energy levels?

Yes, Time-Dependent Degenerate Pertubation Theory can be extended to systems with more than 3 energy levels. However, the mathematical calculations become significantly more complex as the number of energy levels increases.

5. What real-world applications does Time-Dependent Degenerate Pertubation Theory for 3x3 matrix have?

Time-Dependent Degenerate Pertubation Theory for 3x3 matrix has applications in various fields such as quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and chemistry. It is particularly useful in understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and materials under external influences such as light or electric fields.