Introducing the IED Project Forum: Get and Share Ideas Here

In summary, the conversation discusses a course called Introduction to Engineering Design (IED) that is required for engineering majors in US schools. The speaker is currently teaching this course and suggests creating a thread for posting information on different IED projects. The conversation then shifts to discussing the popular project of designing a mousetrap-powered vehicle, with various resources and websites being mentioned. The speaker encourages others to share any additional websites they may know of for this project.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Any engineering major at any engineering school in the US must take a course entitled Introduction to Engineering Design (IED), or something similar. Right now, I am teaching that course at a local college. I think it would be useful for students to have a thread in which information on various IED projects can be posted.

To keep things nice and organized, I am going to ask that there be only one post for each type of project. If you find info on a project that has been posted and think your info should appear here, then please PM the author of that post and ask him/her to edit it in.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Mousetrap Vehicles

You've all heard of it. Just about every high school physics club in the US does this project. The project is to design a vehicle powered by a standard size mousetrap, and there are a variety of criteria on which the car may be judged.

http://www.mousetrap-vehicles.com/index.cfm [Broken] Free articles, FAQ's, books for sale.
Your ultimate source for mousetrap powered cars and vehicles Docfizzix.com sells books and racer kits.
Mousetrap Car and Vehicle Propulsion Theory A book for sale at Docfizzix.com.
http://www.docfizzix.com/plans.htm [Broken] Another book for sale at Docfizzix.com.
Ultimate Mouse Trap Car Homepage An Honors Physics project, and links to other mousetrap car websites.

Let me know via PM if you have any good sites for mousetrap cars, and I will add them by editing this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

This sounds like a great idea! The IED Project Forum would be a valuable resource for engineering students to share and gain ideas for their projects. It would also be a great way for students to connect and collaborate with others who may be working on similar projects. Having one post per project will definitely help keep things organized and make it easier for students to find the information they need. Thank you for taking the initiative to create this forum and I look forward to seeing the projects and ideas that are shared here.

1. What is the purpose of the IED Project Forum?

The purpose of the IED Project Forum is to provide a platform for individuals to share and discuss ideas related to IED (Improvised Explosive Device) projects. It allows for collaboration and knowledge-sharing among scientists, engineers, and other professionals in this field.

2. How can I participate in the IED Project Forum?

To participate in the IED Project Forum, you can create an account on the forum's website and start posting your ideas and thoughts on existing discussions. You can also join existing groups or create your own group to focus on specific topics.

3. Is the IED Project Forum only for professionals?

No, the IED Project Forum is open to anyone with an interest in IED projects, including students, hobbyists, and professionals. We welcome diverse perspectives and ideas from all individuals.

4. Are there any guidelines for posting on the IED Project Forum?

Yes, there are guidelines in place to ensure respectful and productive discussions on the forum. These guidelines include avoiding offensive language and personal attacks, staying on topic, and citing sources when necessary.

5. Can I use the ideas shared on the IED Project Forum for my own projects?

Yes, the ideas shared on the IED Project Forum are meant to be used and implemented in various projects. However, it is important to credit the original source and seek permission if necessary before using any ideas shared on the forum.