What is quantum field theory trying to explain?

In summary: That's not really accurate. You can use the Fock space without the 2nd quantization of the fields to incorporate processes with variable particle numbers.
Radarithm
Gold Member
The title says it all. I'm sorry if you get annoyed because of my "noobishness", but I'm still a physicist in training (taking undergrad Classical Mechs). I'm really interested in Quantum Theory and I keep hearing about Quantum Field Theory, but not a single website accurately explains what it is (again, I'm a noob). I'm not as smart as you guys, so please use layman terms if you can :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
In ordinary quantum mechanics (QM), you treat particles quantum mechanically.

In quantum field theory (QFT), you treat fields quantum mechanically. It turns out that in addition to the classically known fields (like the electromagnetic field) there are new "quantum fields" for all fundamental particles (like the electron). In this sense, QFT is more fundamental than ordinary QM. The most fundamental theory up to date -the Standard Model of particle physics- is a QFT.

Last edited:
kith said:
In ordinary quantum mechanics (QM), you treat the quantum mechanically.

In quantum field theory (QFT), you treat fields quantum mechanically. It turns out that in addition to the classically known fields (like the electromagnetic field) there are new "quantum fields" for all fundamental particles (like the electron). In this sense, QFT is more fundamental than ordinary QM. The most fundamental theory up to date -the Standard Model of particle physics- is a QFT.

Thanks for the explanation! It's the simplest and clearest one I've read.

You are welcome. ;-) Don't hesitate to ask further questions.

(also note that I forgot the word "particles" in the first line, I have edited it)

Also it considers relativity: quantum mechanics + special relativity = quantum field theory.

[STRIKE]I would like to add the important fact that QFT was necessary to allow for particles to be created and annihilated, which isn't in the framework of the original quantum mechanics.[/STRIKE]
What Jazzdude said below.

Last edited:
DrClaude said:
I would like to add the important fact that QFT was necessary to allow for particles to be created and annihilated, which isn't in the framework of the original quantum mechanics.

That's not really accurate. You can use the Fock space without the 2nd quantization of the fields to incorporate processes with variable particle numbers.

Cheers,

Jazz

1. What is quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain the behavior of particles and their interactions in the subatomic world.

2. What is the main goal of quantum field theory?

The main goal of quantum field theory is to provide a mathematical description of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe, and to understand how they interact with each other.

3. How does quantum field theory differ from classical field theory?

Quantum field theory takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as uncertainty and wave-particle duality, while classical field theory only considers classical mechanics and does not account for the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

4. What is the role of the quantum field in quantum field theory?

The quantum field is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of particles and their interactions in the subatomic world. It is represented by a field that permeates all of space and time, and is responsible for the creation and annihilation of particles.

5. How does quantum field theory explain the behavior of particles?

Quantum field theory explains the behavior of particles by treating them as excitations of the underlying quantum field. These excitations can be thought of as waves or vibrations in the field, which interact with each other to produce observable particle phenomena.