Probability Formula for Testing Joe's Claim in a Statistics Class

In summary, Joe thinks that no more than 20% of students in his statistics class will get an A in the final examination. However, after taking a random sample of 35 students, he found that 30% of his students got an A. At a .01 percent level of significance, we cannot reject Joe's view due to incomplete information about the class size. It is necessary to know the total size of Joe's class in order to determine the appropriate formula to use.
doug123
Joe thinks that no more than 20% of students in his statistics class will get an A in the final examination. To prove his claim, he takes a random sample of 35 students and finds to his surprise that 30% of his students got an A. At a .01 percent level of significance can we reject Joe's view?

I do not want the answer to this question, I would just like to know what formula to use, and why. Thank you so much I really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are we to assume that the total size of Joe's class is very large? If his class only has 40 students in it that would affect the result.

no he has 35 students in his class, I put that in the question, however I am curious as to the formula to use

No, you said he took a random sample of 35 students. If he only HAS 35 students then you can say with certainty that more than 20% of his students got A's.

okay i really don't understand what your saying, all i want to know is what equation to use that's all. Thanks

Doug, the way you phrased your question "...he takes a random sample of 35 students ..." suggests that his SAMPLE contains 35 students and that the size of the class is unspecified.

If I may reword:

"Joe thinks that no more than 20% of students in his statistics class will get an A in the final examination. To prove his claim, he takes a random sample (eg. n=5 or n=10) from the 35 students in the class and finds to his surprise that 30% of his students got an A. At a .01 percent level of significance can we reject Joe's view?

He took ".

NO, he took a random sample OF 35 students, not he took a random sample from 35 students. So to explain this he basically took 35 students and found that 30% of those 35 students got an A. It isn't that difficult to understand. If anyone knows the formula to use I would appreciate it. Thanks for all of your help anyway though.

Doug, there is no formula for that because the question is incomplete. You have to either assume that his class size is very large, or you have to say how large it actually is.

What is the probability formula?

The probability formula is a mathematical formula used to calculate the likelihood or chance of a specific event occurring. It is expressed as a ratio of the number of desired outcomes to the total number of possible outcomes.

How do you calculate probability using the formula?

To calculate probability using the formula, you need to know the number of desired outcomes and the total number of possible outcomes. The formula is: P(A) = number of desired outcomes / total number of possible outcomes.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual observations and data collected from experiments or real-world events.

Can the probability formula be used for all types of events?

The probability formula can be used for events that have a finite number of outcomes and where each outcome is equally likely. It is not suitable for events with infinite outcomes or where the outcomes are not equally likely.

How can probability be expressed?

Probability can be expressed as a decimal, fraction, or percentage. For example, a probability of 0.5 can also be expressed as a fraction of 1/2 or a percentage of 50%.