Volume expansivity of an ideal solution

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the speaker used the definition of volume expansivity and the molar volume of an ideal solution to obtain their expression. They believe that their result proves the claim to be incorrect and are seeking confirmation on their approach. However, the responder points out that there may be an error in the math.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm approaching this the right way, but essentially I used the definition of volume expansivity and a result for the molar volume of an ideal solution to get my expression, so my result is that the claim is wrong. Am I going about this one correctly?

Attachments

• 9.1.jpg
    9.1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Attempt

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1397971552.888599.jpg

It doesn't look like you did the math correctly.

[tex]V=n_1\overline{V_1}+n_2\overline{V_2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dV}{dT}=n_1\frac{d\overline{V_1}}{dT}+n_2\frac{\overline{dV_2}}{dT}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{V}\frac{dV}{dT}=\frac{(n_1\frac{d\overline{V_1}}{dT}+n_2\frac{\overline{dV_2}}{dT})}{n_1\overline{V_1}+n_2\overline{V_2}}[/tex]

[tex]β=\frac{(n_1\overline{V_1}β_1+n_2\overline{V_2}β_2)}{n_1\overline{V_1}+n_2\overline{V_2}}[/tex]

1. What is the definition of volume expansivity?

Volume expansivity is a measure of how much a substance's volume changes in response to a change in temperature. It is also known as thermal expansion coefficient.

2. How is the volume expansivity of an ideal solution calculated?

The volume expansivity of an ideal solution is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the ideal solution's volume with respect to temperature and pressure.

3. What is an ideal solution?

An ideal solution is a mixture of two or more substances that behaves like a single substance in terms of its physical and chemical properties. In other words, the molecules of the substances are evenly dispersed and interact with each other in a predictable and consistent manner.

4. How does the volume expansivity of an ideal solution compare to that of a single substance?

The volume expansivity of an ideal solution is usually lower than that of a single substance. This is because the interactions between the molecules in an ideal solution reduce the overall thermal expansion of the mixture.

5. What factors can affect the volume expansivity of an ideal solution?

The volume expansivity of an ideal solution can be affected by the types of substances in the solution, the concentration of each substance, and the temperature and pressure of the system. It may also be influenced by external factors such as the presence of impurities or the addition of other substances.