Electric Field Help: Find Magnitude & Direction

In summary, the conversation involves finding the magnitude and direction of an electric field that is set up by a charge of 3 x 10–6 coulombs at a distance of 9 meters. The formula F=K(q1q2/d*2) is used to calculate the magnitude, which is found to be 3.33N. The direction of the field is outwards, according to the electric field convention for positive charges. The correct unit for electric field is N/C and it can be calculated using the formula E=F/q.
Linco
Can someone tell me if I got this right?

If a charge of 3 x 10–6 coulombs sets up an electric field, find:

a.The magnitude of the field 9 meters away.
F=K(q1q2/d*2) F= 9 X 10*9(3 x 10*6/9*2) =3.33N

b.The directive of the field.
The directive would be outwards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what's the electric field?, on a) you wrote the coulombian force definition, applied the electric field definition, and used the wrong unit and used the wrong unit for electric field...

The problem didn't supply the electric field.

So I am guessing I need to use E=F/q?

im not sure how to do this without E

I suppose the problem is asking for the Electric Field supplied by the given charge at a distance of 9 meters, you found the magnitude, except your unit is wrong, it's N/C. Remember the Electric field is the amount of coulombian force per charge. You can find the direction throught the electric field convention, for positive charges the electric field lines are directed outwards.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged object experiences a force. It is represented by vectors and the direction of the field is the direction in which a positive charge would move.

2. How do you find the magnitude of an electric field?

The magnitude of an electric field can be calculated by dividing the force on a charged object by the magnitude of the charge. It is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

3. How do you find the direction of an electric field?

The direction of an electric field can be determined by the direction of the force it would exert on a positive test charge. The field lines always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

4. What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the magnitude of the charge creating the field and the distance from the charge. The field weakens as the distance from the charge increases.

5. How is the direction of an electric field represented?

The direction of an electric field is represented by arrows pointing in the direction a positive test charge would move. The length of the arrows indicates the strength of the field - longer arrows represent a stronger field while shorter arrows represent a weaker field.