Finding an arc length, and why isn't latex working for me?

In summary: It might be elementary, but I can't say for sure. Maybe you could try a different method?Thanks for trying though.
Stevecgz
Finding an arc length

I am attempting to find the arc length of y = cuberoot[x] between (1,1) and (8,2).

I solved the integral from 1 to 2 of sqrt[1+(3y^2)^2]dy. I used a formula from a table of integrals in my text to solve this integral. The solution I get is 68.19. I can see that this is not a reasonable answer. Is my setup incorrect or am I solving the integral incorrectly?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Error vv

Last edited:
The set-up is okay. Looks like you're solving the integral incorrectly. Perhaps, if you show the working, someone will spot the error.

Stevecgz said:
Why isn't latex working for me

I thought it wasn't working for me either. But it seems to be not working properly only in the preview pane, when you are composing your thread/response.

When posted, the latex code works properly (at least for me it did :))

You can hit the edit button on your post and edit it there as need be.

You're right Fermat, I was only trying it in the preview page, but it's working now.

Thanks Gokul, this is how I got to my answer.

This is the formula I used from my text:

[tex]\int \sqrt {a^2 + u^2} du = \frac u 2 \sqrt {a^2 + u^2} + \frac {a^2} {2} \ln{(u + \sqrt {a^2 + u^2})} + C[/tex]

I used a = 1 and u = 3y^2, and that is how I came up with 68.19.

I'm trying to find a method to solve this integral without using that formula but I am having trouble. I can't see any logical u substitution that would work. I have tried a trigonometric substitution, with [tex]3y^2 = \tan{\theta}[/tex], but when I replace [tex]dy[/tex] with [tex]d\theta[/tex] I'm left with a harder integral than I started with. Thanks again for any help.

Steve

Last edited:
have you tried,

u = a.sinht ?

I think the integal you derived

[tex]\int \sqrt {a^2 + u^2}\ du[/tex]

is wrong.

If the integral is,

[tex]\int \sqrt {1 + (3y^2)^2}\ dy[/tex]

then the substitution u = 3y² gives,

[tex]\int \sqrt {1 + u^2}\ dy[/tex]

but

du = 6y dy

or

dy = du/6y = √3.du/(6√u)

which givves the integral as,

[tex]\int \sqrt {1 + u^2}\ \sqrt{3}du/(6\sqrt{u})[/tex]

Also, I put your origianl integral,

into this http://integrals.wolfram.com/" and got back exotic formulas (I think they're called)

I don't know how to evaluate those, sorry :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I put your origianl integral,
into this http://integrals.wolfram.com/" and got back exotic formulas (I think they're called)
I don't know how to evaluate those, sorry :frown:

I tried it at a similar site and got back some crazy stuff that didn't mean much to me. :frown:

I'm still not getting anywhere with this, I'm really curious about what I'm doing wrong. I'm sure it's just a simple mistake.

I guess I'll start working on another method and see if I get anywhere trying to find:

[tex]\int_{1}^{8} \sqrt{1 + \left[\frac {1}{3\sqrt[3]{x^2}}\right]^2} dx[/tex]

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this integral not elementary? Do I need to use approximate integration?

Steve

btt...

1. How do I find the arc length of a curve?

To find the arc length of a curve, you can use the formula L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2)dx, where dy/dx is the derivative of the curve's equation. This integral can be solved using integration techniques or by using a calculator or computer program.

2. Why is finding the arc length important?

Finding the arc length is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to calculate the distance traveled along a curved path, which is necessary for solving problems involving motion and calculating areas and volumes of irregular shapes.

3. Can I use the arc length formula for any type of curve?

Yes, the arc length formula can be used for any type of curve, whether it is a simple line, a circle, or a more complex curve. However, in some cases, it may be easier to use other methods, such as the Pythagorean theorem for finding the length of a straight line or the circumference formula for a circle.

4. What is LaTeX and why isn't it working for me?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating scientific and technical documents, particularly in mathematics and physics. If LaTeX is not working for you, it could be due to a variety of reasons such as incorrect syntax, missing packages, or incompatible software. It is important to check for errors and troubleshoot to ensure the proper functioning of LaTeX.

5. Can I use any other methods to find the arc length?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the arc length, such as using parametric equations, polar coordinates, or numerical integration. These methods may be more suitable for specific types of curves or may provide a more accurate result depending on the situation. It is important to choose the method that best fits the problem at hand.