Treatment makes surfaces self-cleaning

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a treatment that makes surfaces self-cleaning, specifically through the use of hydrophilic materials like titania. This treatment could potentially be applied to metal surfaces, such as car bodies, making them easier to clean and reducing the need for frequent washing.
Trooko
"Treatment makes surfaces self-cleaning"

I read this article, a few weeks ago

http://www.engineerlive.com/european-design-engineer/instrumentationelectronics/17068/treatment-makes-surfaces-selfcleaning.thtml

Do anyone know more about this? Can it actually be applied to metal?

i.e. car body, so I won't have to wash my car ever again:!) , I'm just kidding, but wouldn't that be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Actually that fenomena use hydrophylic characteristic of material. One material that exhibit that characteristics is titania. Water form a layer instead of droplet on a hydrophylic surface so the dust stuck in water layer and easily removed by water.
I think we can use in metal, just coat it with titania.

Yes, this technology can definitely be applied to metal surfaces, including car bodies. The treatment involves coating the surface with a thin layer of photocatalytic material, typically titanium dioxide, which has the ability to break down organic compounds when exposed to light. This means that when the treated surface is exposed to sunlight, it will effectively clean itself by breaking down any dirt, grime, or pollutants that may be present. Not only does this save time and effort in cleaning, but it also has environmental benefits by reducing the need for harsh cleaning chemicals. So yes, you may one day be able to have a self-cleaning car! However, this technology is still relatively new and may not be widely available yet. But it's definitely something to keep an eye on in the future.

1. How does the treatment make surfaces self-cleaning?

The treatment uses a special coating that contains photocatalytic nanoparticles. When exposed to sunlight or artificial light, these particles create a chemical reaction that breaks down organic substances on the surface, making it self-cleaning.

2. What types of surfaces can be treated with this technology?

Almost any surface can be treated, including glass, metal, plastic, and stone. However, the effectiveness may vary depending on the material and its porosity.

3. How long does the treatment last?

The treatment can last for several years, depending on the conditions and usage of the surface. In areas with high levels of pollution or heavy foot traffic, the treatment may need to be reapplied more frequently.

4. Is the treatment safe for the environment?

Yes, the treatment is environmentally friendly. It does not contain harmful chemicals and does not produce any toxic byproducts. It also helps to reduce the need for harsh cleaning chemicals, making it a more sustainable option.

5. Can the treatment be applied to existing surfaces?

Yes, the treatment can be applied to existing surfaces. However, the surface may need to be thoroughly cleaned and prepared before the treatment is applied for optimal results.