Seemingly simple, what am i doing wrong?

• Thread starter SnowOwl18
  • Start date
In summary, a device for training astronauts and jet fighter pilots rotates the trainee in a horizontal circle with a radius of 10.3m. The trainee experiences a force of 7.15 times her own weight. To calculate the speed at which she is rotating, the formula 2*pi*radius/velocity can be used. However, to convert the answer to revolutions per second, the result must be divided by 60. The correct answer is 2.405 seconds, but this may still be incorrect depending on the specific numbers used in the problem.
SnowOwl18
Ok, I have this problem :

------A device for training astronauts and jet fighter pilots is designed to rotate the trainee in a horizontal circle of radius 10.3m. If the force felt by the trainee is 7.15 times her own weight, how fast is she rotating? -------

I already calculated that she is rotating 26.9 m/s. But now they are asking me to calculate my answer in revolutions per second. I tried using
{2 * Pi * radius} / velocity = rpm...but I think I'm doing it wrong, since the answer won't come out right. I know that equation solves for revolutions per minute and I'm supposed to solve for revolutions per second, but I tried to multiply by 60 and it still doesn't work. Anyway, if anyone sees what I'm doing wrong, could you please tell me how to fix it and convert to rps? Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider (and yes, I know this is obvious - bear with me): One minute is longer than one second, so at constant speed, you'll cover more ground in a minute than in a second. That being the case, if you measure your speed in somethings/minute, it'll be a greater number than if you measure them in somethings/second. If you want to convert from revolutions/minute to revolutions/second, then, you need to divide so you end up with a smaller number than you started with.

This can be seen more easily if you write the units as revolutions (over) minutes instead of "rpm", but I don't know the board well enough to do that here.

Hope this helps.

yes, you are right...that makes sense. but i did try to divide my answer by 60 and i still got the answer wrong. :/ it must be the equation I'm using in general...hmm...thanks though!

I'm sorry - I should've looked more closely. Consider the units of your "2*pi*radius/velocity" equation. You'll have meters on top, meters per second on the bottom. The end result will be seconds, not "rpm".

Think about what the formula you used will give you: you're taking the length of one circumference and dividing by the speed at which you cover it. Your result is a time - what would that time represent? You're pretty close to the "revolutions per (whatever time period you're using)", but you're not quite there yet.

ok... so 2PiR/v = T...T being the time required to travel once around the circle...but i still don't know how to go from there. Lol, sorry if this seems pathetic, I just have trouble seeing what should come next. I've tried everything I could think of...hmm...

First of all 26.9m/s is fine and using 2 pi r is also fine

the solution yu get for t using
2pi r = v t should yield rev/s
since velocity is given in m/s then the units do cancel out

however, if the answer is still wrong ell me the answer and perhaps i can explain better for you

I did that and got an answer of 2.405 s ...but everytime I plug it into the program, it says it's incorrect...i don't think the program is wrong, because other people solved that problem (though with different assigned numbers).

1. Why aren't my results matching my hypothesis?

There could be multiple reasons for this. One possibility is that your hypothesis was not well-formed or supported by evidence. Another possibility is that there were factors you did not consider or control for in your experiment. It is important to analyze your methods and data carefully to determine the cause of the discrepancy.

2. How can I improve the accuracy of my experiments?

To improve accuracy, it is important to carefully design your experiments, control for variables, and repeat experiments multiple times. It is also helpful to consult with colleagues or experts to receive feedback and suggestions for improvement.

3. Why are my experiments producing inconsistent results?

Inconsistency in results can be caused by a number of factors, such as human error, equipment malfunction, or external variables. It is important to carefully review your methods and data to identify potential sources of error and make adjustments to improve consistency.

4. What should I do if my experiment yields unexpected results?

Unexpected results can be valuable and may lead to new discoveries. It is important to carefully analyze and interpret the data to understand the cause of the unexpected results. It may also be helpful to consult with colleagues or experts for their insights and perspectives.

5. How can I effectively communicate my findings to others?

To effectively communicate your findings, it is important to organize your data and results in a clear and concise manner. Visual aids such as graphs or charts can also be helpful in conveying information. Additionally, it is important to provide context and explain the significance of your findings to your audience.