Emailing professors when applying to grad schools

In summary, when emailing a professor, it is best to address them formally using their title and last name. Your email should include a brief introduction, academic background, research interests, and relevant attachments. It is generally acceptable to email multiple professors, but each email should be personalized. The best time to email is during the academic year on weekdays. If you do not receive a response after a week or two, it is okay to send a polite follow-up email, but avoid multiple emails or pestering the professor.
Simfish
Gold Member
I know it's frequently done. Just a question - what sorts of questions do these professors ask when they reply to these emails? (and are there certain professors more likely to reply than others - maybe profs looking for grad students or professors in less competitive fields?) Do they ever ask about a student's GPA? (which would inevitably come up in the academic transcript?)

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How should I address the professor in my email?

It is best to address the professor formally, using their title and last name (e.g. Dr. Smith). If you are unsure of their preferred title, you can use "Professor" or "Dear [Professor's Last Name]". Avoid using their first name unless they have explicitly asked to be addressed that way.

2. What information should I include in my email?

Your email should include a brief introduction of yourself, your academic background, your research interests, and why you are interested in working with the professor. You should also attach your resume and any relevant academic transcripts or publications.

3. Is it okay to email multiple professors at the same time?

It is generally acceptable to email multiple professors at once, as long as you personalize each email and do not send a generic mass email. However, keep in mind that some professors may prefer to only be contacted individually.

4. When is the best time to email a professor?

You should try to email professors during the academic year (September-May) when they are actively teaching and conducting research. Avoid emailing them during school breaks or holidays, as they may not check their emails regularly. It is also best to email them during weekdays, as weekends are usually reserved for personal time.

5. How should I follow up if I do not receive a response?

If you have not received a response within a week or two, it is okay to send a polite follow-up email. However, do not email multiple times or pester the professor for a response. They may be busy with other commitments or may have already filled their graduate positions.