Quaternion local rotation

In summary, the topic of discussion is about rotating quaternions in a specific way. The rotations around X and Y axes are achieved by applying two separate quaternion increments, QX and QY. To rotate Q1 on the X and then Y axis, the following steps should be followed: 1. Apply QX rotation to Q1 and name the result R1. 2. Apply QX rotation to QY rotation increment to transform the Y axis rotation from the original frame of reference to the one after the X rotation, and name this modified increment QY'. 3. Finally, apply QY' to R1 to achieve the desired rotation.
Registred
Hey,

Once again, I got a question about quaternions.
Say I have an initial rotation Q1. I now want to rotate Q1 on the X and then on the Y axis. BUT: The Y rotation should apply to the local Y axis which was given in Q1.

The problem is:
If i rotate Q1 by the X-rotation Q2, then the Y axis changes for Q1*Q2. So, since quaternion multiplication is noncommutativ, if I then apply the Y-rotation Q3, I don't rotate about the original Y axis of Q1.

How can I rotate quaternions this way?

Greetings!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I assume that the rotations around X and Y will be achieved by applying by two separate quaternion increments, call them QX and QY. Assuming this is the case I think you need to proceed as follows;

1. apply the QX rotation to Q1, call the result R1.
2. apply the QX rotation to the QY rotation increment - this transforms the Y axis rotation from the original frame of reference to the frame that exists after you've done the X rotation. Call the modified QY increment QY'
3. apply QY' to R1

1. What is a quaternion?

A quaternion is a mathematical concept used to describe rotation in three-dimensional space. It consists of four components, typically denoted as (w, x, y, z), where w is the scalar component and (x, y, z) form the vector component.

2. How is quaternion local rotation different from other rotation methods?

Quaternion local rotation is different from other rotation methods, such as Euler angles or axis-angle representation, because it avoids the problem of gimbal lock and allows for smooth and continuous rotation in all directions.

3. How is quaternion local rotation calculated?

Quaternion local rotation is calculated using a combination of the quaternion components and the rotation matrix. The rotation matrix is used to convert the quaternion into a three-dimensional rotation, which can then be applied to an object's local coordinate system.

4. What are the advantages of using quaternion local rotation?

Quaternion local rotation has several advantages, including its ability to avoid gimbal lock, its smooth and continuous rotation, and its compact representation using only four components. It is also widely used in computer graphics and animation due to its efficiency and accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations to using quaternion local rotation?

One limitation of quaternion local rotation is that it can be difficult to understand and visualize, as it involves complex mathematical concepts. It also requires some knowledge of linear algebra and 3D geometry to fully utilize its capabilities. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all applications and may require additional steps, such as interpolation, for certain scenarios.