Why is 10 the Standard Base Number in Mathematics?

• Thread starter steersman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of base numbers and why the number 10 is commonly used as a base in our daily computations. Some possible explanations for this include the fact that we have 10 fingers and the convenience of using 10 as a base for counting. However, there are also examples of other cultures using different base numbers, such as the Babylonians who used base 60 and the Tlingit people who used a "base 8" system. Ultimately, any number greater than 1 can be used as a base for a positional system, and the representation of that number in any base will always be "10". The conversation also touches on the idea of using different bases in mathematics and the potential impact this could
steersman
Why is 10 a base number? Why not 4? Is it because we can count to 10 on our fingers? This sounds like a stupid question I know but it's been bugging me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody knows the exact answer (probably because there is no exact answer), but that's probably about as good an answer as you'll get. It just kinda worked out that way.

cookiemonster

10 isn't the only one ever used; IIRC the Babylonians did everything base 60. :smile: 10 just happened to "win"

I can barely keep track of ten numbers, much less sixty. Multiplication would be absolute hell.

cookiemonster

otoh there are a lot more 1-digit numbers!

Those are usually the ones that give me trouble...

cookiemonster

I think the mayans used base 20.

Anyway, there are no "base numbers". Any number greater than 1 can be used as a base for a positional system.

And, no matter what number you choose for your base, the representation of that number in that base will be "10" (for instance, 2 in binary is "10"; 3 in base 3 is "10", etc).

ahrkron said:
I think the mayans used base 20.

Anyway, there are no "base numbers". Any number greater than 1 can be used as a base for a positional system.

And, no matter what number you choose for your base, the representation of that number in that base will be "10" (for instance, 2 in binary is "10"; 3 in base 3 is "10", etc).

The Tlingit people who lived along the Pacific coast of North America (Washington State and British Columbia) used sort of a "base 8" (there numeration system wasn't, strictly speaking, a "base" system) because they counted on the spaces between their fingers!
(As in- place index finger of right hand between thumb and index finger of left, say "1", place index finger of right hand between index and middle finger of left say "2", etc.)

The classic Greek astronomers had a neat system. They used the Babylonian base 60 but expressed the digits in their own traditional alphabetic system - α = 1, β = 2, and so on with specific combinations for digits above 10. You could probably simulate it by using Roman numerals for base 60 digits, from I to LIX plus zero.

Not a stupid question at all.
becase we have 10 fingers.

The question really should be "Why ten?" not "Why 10?".

Think about it. No matter what base we used, it would still be "10".

Njorl

LOL! So true! So the alien with three fingers would say "I have 10 fingers too. 1+1 = 2 and 2+1 = 10."

steersman said:
Why is 10 a base number? Why not 4? Is it because we can count to 10 on our fingers? This sounds like a stupid question I know but it's been bugging me.
Base 10 is for our daily computation...
You don't need to take such a "base" to heart. Modern computers use base 2(-8-16) to represent all the stuff. If you like, you can also define yourself base 3,4,5,6,7 etc. It is not a matter of choice but a matter of which you have to deal with standard and common rules.

I wonder if the numbers of fingers on a primitive organism determines its future intelligence.

I had a math teacher in seventh grade, she was from nah awlens, in case you are having trouble with that, it is vernacular for New Orleans. She had a great accent, and described 12 as the queen of the numbahs, because it was divisible by so many primes, and we spent a couple of days discussing bases, and how it would have been much better if we had 12 fingers, so we could have used base 12. All in this thick accent. She was a hoot, in her Lady Bird Johnson hairdo, and pastel suits, she was at least 70 years old then.

1. Why is 10 considered a base number?

10 is considered a base number because it is the number that we use to count and do mathematical operations in our everyday lives. It is the foundation of our number system, and all other numbers are built upon it.

2. How did 10 become the base number?

The use of 10 as a base number can be traced back to ancient civilizations such as the Egyptians and Babylonians. However, it was the Hindu-Arabic numeral system that popularized the use of 10 as a base number in the 9th century. This system was later adopted by Europe and eventually became the standard in mathematics.

3. Is there a specific reason why 10 was chosen as the base number?

The choice of 10 as a base number is largely based on human anatomy. We have 10 fingers, and it is believed that early humans used their fingers to count. This tactile method of counting may have influenced the use of 10 as a base number.

4. Can 10 be replaced with another number as the base number?

Yes, it is possible to use another number as the base number. In fact, there are many other number systems that use different base numbers, such as binary (base 2) and hexadecimal (base 16). However, 10 has proven to be the most convenient and efficient base number for everyday use.

5. What are the advantages of using 10 as the base number?

Using 10 as the base number allows for easier calculation and representation of numbers. This is because our number system is based on the powers of 10, making it easier to understand and perform operations. Additionally, the use of 10 as the base number allows for simple conversion between different units of measurement, such as meters to kilometers or grams to kilograms.