Linear Algebra with linear operators and rotations

Another approach is to think about what happens when you apply S then T vs T then S. Remember, S rotates and T reflects.In summary, the statements A) and B) are false, C) is false for any vector on the x-axis, and D) and E) are both true. This can be proven by counterexamples or by calculating the products for basis vectors.
Jbrudie
Definie linear operators S and T on the x-y plane as follows: S rotates each vector 90 degress counter clockwise, and T reflects each vector though the y axis. If ST = S o T and TS = T o S denote the composition of the linear operators, and I is the indentity map which of the following is true?

A) ST = I
B) ST = - I
C) TS = I
D) ST = TS
E) ST = -TS

I know for a fact that A and B are false.
B) For A then we can start with a vector on the positive x axis. Reflect it over the y-axis and the vector will lie on the negative x axis. Then rotate it 90 degress under S and it will lie on the negative y axis. This does not equal -I

For B) if we let the vector lie on the positive x axis, then if we reflect it under T it is on the negative real axis and then rotate it 90 degress under S then it lies on the negative y-axis This does not equal I.

C) If we take a vector on the positive x-axis again, rotate it 90 degress under S, then it will on the positive y axis, Under T it will not be reflected since it lies on the y-axis and so TS does not equal I
By the way I deliberately picked the vector lying on the x-axis because for that vector it does not work. The statement is true if the vector is lying somewhere in the first quadrant not on the axis but it has to be true for every vector.
I am not sure about D or E. Can someone check my work and help with D and E please?

I figure it out my providing counter-examples for A) through D).. Does anyone know how to show that ST = -TS for every vector in the x-y plane? Is there a way to prove it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jbrudie said:
Definie linear operators S and T on the x-y plane as follows: S rotates each vector 90 degress counter clockwise, and T reflects each vector though the y axis. If ST = S o T and TS = T o S denote the composition of the linear operators, and I is the indentity map which of the following is true?

A) ST = I
B) ST = - I
C) TS = I
D) ST = TS
E) ST = -TS

I know for a fact that A and B are false.
B) For A then we can start with a vector on the positive x axis. Reflect it over the y-axis and the vector will lie on the negative x axis. Then rotate it 90 degress under S and it will lie on the negative y axis. This does not equal -I

For B) if we let the vector lie on the positive x axis, then if we reflect it under T it is on the negative real axis and then rotate it 90 degress under S then it lies on the negative y-axis This does not equal I.

C) If we take a vector on the positive x-axis again, rotate it 90 degress under S, then it will on the positive y axis, Under T it will not be reflected since it lies on the y-axis and so TS does not equal I.

By the way I deliberately picked the vector lying on the x-axis because for that vector it does not work. The statement is true if the vector is lying somewhere in the first quadrant not on the axis but it has to be true for every vector.
I'm not sure if you meant to say C is true for any vector in the first quadrant, which it isn't, but you are correct in that any counterexample, even one vector, can prove the statement false.

I am not sure about D or E. Can someone check my work and help with D and E please?
For each, calculate both sides of the equation for [tex]\hat{i}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{j}[/tex] and see if they're equal. If the equation holds for two basis vectors, it'll hold for any vector since S and T are linear.

You could also write down the matrices representing S and T and calculate their products to see if any of the equations holds.

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear transformations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces.

2. What are linear operators in Linear Algebra?

Linear operators are mathematical functions that transform one vector space into another vector space while preserving the structure of the original space. They are represented by matrices and can be used to perform operations such as rotations, reflections, and scaling.

3. What is the significance of rotations in Linear Algebra?

Rotations are important in Linear Algebra because they are a fundamental type of linear transformation. They are used to rotate vectors in a vector space, and they can also be used to solve systems of linear equations. Rotations are also used in computer graphics and physics to model the movement of objects in three-dimensional space.

4. What are some real-world applications of Linear Algebra with rotations?

Linear Algebra with rotations has numerous applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, physics, and engineering. Some examples include 3D animation, image processing, navigation systems, and control systems for robots.

5. What are some common techniques for solving problems involving Linear Algebra with rotations?

Some common techniques for solving problems involving Linear Algebra with rotations include finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, using matrix operations such as inversion and diagonalization, and using geometric interpretations of rotations to solve equations and systems of equations. Computer software such as MATLAB and Mathematica can also be used to solve problems involving Linear Algebra with rotations.