Solving simultaneous equations F = ma

In summary: Thanks again.In summary, the problem involves Luke standing on a scale in an elevator with constant acceleration upward. The scale reads 0.97 kN before Luke picks up a 20 kg box, and 1.18 kN after. The goal is to find the acceleration of the elevator and Luke's weight. Two equations are used, one for Luke without the added mass and one for Luke with the mass. The strategy is to solve for m in both equations, set them equal, and solve for a. However, the units do not work out correctly. The correct approach is to use symbolic variables and include parentheses to get an equation of (W2 - mbg - W1) / mb = a.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Luke stands on a scale in an elevator which has a constant acceleration upward. The scale reads 0.97 kN. When Luke picks up a box of mass 20 kg, the scale reads 1.18 kN. (The acceleration remains the same.) (a) Find the acceleration of the elevator. (b) Find Luke's weight.

Homework Equations

So I came up with 2 equations one for Luke w/o the added mass one for Luke with.
W_1 = m(g+a) I solve it for m.
m = W_1 / (a+g)
equation 2
W-2-(m+20)g=(m+20)a

The Attempt at a Solution

My strategy is to just solve both equation for m. Set them equal and then just plug and chug and get my my a. The issue is I can't solve the equation!
If my strategy is correct. The units don't work out at all. Apples and Oranges.
So,

W_2 - 20g - 20a / a+g =W_1/ a+g
Multiply both sides by a+g gave
W_2 - 20g -20a = W_1
Cleaning it up for a I got...

W_2 -20g - W_1 / 20 = a
See what I meant about apples and oranges something is wrong. I have been at it for a while I have tunnel vision.
Thanks to whoever helps

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

Luke stands on a scale in an elevator which has a constant acceleration upward. The scale reads 0.97 kN. When Luke picks up a box of mass 20 kg, the scale reads 1.18 kN. (The acceleration remains the same.) (a) Find the acceleration of the elevator. (b) Find Luke's weight.

Homework Equations

So I came up with 2 equations one for Luke w/o the added mass one for Luke with.
W_1 = m(g+a) I solve it for m.
m = W_1 / (m+g)
What kind of solution for m is that??

I changed it I just meant m = W_1/ (a+g)
That is it. Sorry typo. Good catch.

I suggest you look at the problem without trying to solve for both weights simultaneously.

You know the scale readings before and after Luke picks up the 20 kg box.
Assuming the accel. in the elevator is the same for both scale readings, and assuming a typical g, then you should be able to find the acceleration of the elevator.

Hello StemKind,
I was actually not just solving for the weights. I know what the weights were. But you are saying I should be able to get this without combining my equations?
Thanks,

Jbreezy said:
I changed it I just meant m = W_1/ (a+g)
That is it. Sorry typo. Good catch.

Substitute into your W_2 equation to find a. Then get m.

yeah that is what I tried above the units are not correct. That is the strategy but something is wrong with my solution above.

Jbreezy said:
W_2 -20g - W_1 / 20 = a
Two things will help here. Include parentheses and either include units throughout or, better, keep everything symbolic until the end. E.g. if mb is the mass of the box (20kg):
(W2 -mbg - W1) / mb = a
... and everything's apples.

Ahh Thank you Haruspex.
Apples are quite good. Especially with peanut butter. I see the issue now.

1. How do you solve simultaneous equations F = ma?

To solve simultaneous equations F = ma, you must first identify the variables and their corresponding equations. In this case, F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. Then, use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination to solve for the unknown variables.

2. What is the purpose of solving simultaneous equations F = ma?

The purpose of solving simultaneous equations F = ma is to determine the values of the variables involved in the equation. This can be useful in many scientific and mathematical applications, such as calculating the force required to move an object with a certain mass and acceleration.

3. What are the different methods for solving simultaneous equations F = ma?

There are two main methods for solving simultaneous equations F = ma - substitution and elimination. Substitution involves solving for one variable in one equation and then substituting its value into the other equation. Elimination involves adding or subtracting the equations to eliminate one of the variables and then solving for the remaining variable.

4. How do you know if an equation is a simultaneous equation F = ma?

An equation is considered a simultaneous equation F = ma if it contains two or more variables and can be solved for their values at the same time. In this case, F = ma represents the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, and solving for any one of these variables requires the use of the other two.

5. Can simultaneous equations F = ma be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, simultaneous equations F = ma can be used to solve real-world problems. For example, they can be used in physics to calculate the force needed to move an object with a certain mass at a given acceleration, or in engineering to design structures that can withstand certain forces.