Ansys - which analysis system to use?

In summary: Traditional is a modeling language that is used to create models of assemblies. You can import your Solidworks geometry into ANSYS Traditional, but it is a 50/50 gamble as to whether it will come in. If it does, you will have to verify that everything is connected/ restrained properly. You can follow the VM29.dat file to create the simple geometry of the two sliding blocks. Have you followed the VM29.dat file?
atyy88
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2498/11489662.jpg

The pressure will push component "a" to move downwards and push component "b" to move upwards.

Component "a" and "b" will only be moved in vertical direction (90degree).

There will be friction force occurs on the sliding surface which will push component "c" to move to the right >>>

Does anyone knows which analysis system(Workbench) I have to use to do my FEA on this model?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
First off, simplify the model. You can do this by only modeling the surfaces that are in contact and then applying a force. Use Traditional. Read about the contacts in the ANSYS help manual. There is no need to pull that entire assembly into WorkBench.

Thanks
Matt

Thanks for you reply Matt. :smile:
I'll read the manual and try to figure something out.
By the way my drawing is done by using SolidWorks. I tried to use the simulation system in Solidworks but it says cannot be run for assembly parts. So I'm trying Ansys now.

I don't know what version of ANSYS you are using but in version 14.0 you can find the details of contacts in the Contact Technology Guide.

Also in the help manual under Verification Manual there is verification file, VM29 that outlines sliding friction on a block. You can view and/or read in the VM29.dat file and modify it as needed.

The results are going to be shown in the black output window. You can also use the Mechanical APDL Launcher and use the batch mode.

Last edited:
Yes I'm using Ansys 14.0.
I have some ideas on workbench only because one of my classmate showed me a demo on it.
This is my first time using Ansys (traditional). I don't even know how to create a modeling.
Can you guide me a bit?
Can I import my Solidworks drawing file to do the Contacts?

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/4498/75139395.jpg

Is this the one for doing contacts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Importing geometry into ANSYS Traditional is a 50/50 gamble. If it comes in, you will have to verify that everything is connected/restrained properly. I wouldn't waste my time trying to import anything.

What you need to do is create the simple geometry of the two sliding blocks. Have you followed the VM29.dat file?

Read about the /INPUT command in the help manual. Copy and past the VM29.dat file into a text editor, save it to a location, point ANSYS at that location (use the Mechanical APDL Launcher) and then either type in /INPUT (with the appropriate information) in the command line to read the file in. Or you can also copy and paste all the commands from the VM29.dat file and paste them directly into the command line. I am assuming you know where the command line is.

If you have never used Traditional, then you shouldn't be using Workbench. Use the help manual and the example verification files to begin to learn and understand APDL. There is a log file that you can view (similar to recording a macro in VBA) and this will tell you what APDL command is being used as you point and click. Refer to this file as you build your model.

Also, ask yourself, "What am I trying to accomplish with this analysis and how can I simplify this large assembly into a much more manageable problem?" If you are just looking to create a pretty picture with color contours, your doing your analysis for all the wrong reasons.

No... I'm not just looking to create a pretty picture with color contours.

I'm actually designing a jacking system for offshore platform which uses hydraulic pressure to move the components and then it will generate friction force to move another components(clamping units), instead of using rack and pinion system.

So I have to do analysis on the friction/reaction forces for my design.

The dimension of the drawing i showed on the first post is actually very large.

I had read the manual that you said but I couldn't get to learn the ANSYS traditional in this short time. I'm quite in rush to get the analysis results.

Do you have any idea how to do it with Workbench?

atyy88 said:
I had read the manual that you said but I couldn't get to learn the ANSYS traditional in this short time. I'm quite in rush to get the analysis results.

Do you have any idea how to do it with Workbench?

No, I do not work with Workbench. Without any experience, you should consult an engineering firm that specializes in FEA. Or get help from someone who is experienced and can literally sit right next to you and guide you thru this analysis.

I hope it all works out for you.

Thanks
Matt

1. How do I determine which analysis system to use in Ansys?

The best way to determine which analysis system to use in Ansys is to first identify the type of problem you are trying to solve. Ansys offers a variety of analysis systems such as structural, thermal, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic analysis. Once you have identified the type of problem, you can then choose the appropriate analysis system based on the physics involved.

2. Can I use multiple analysis systems in Ansys?

Yes, you can use multiple analysis systems in Ansys. In fact, many problems require the use of multiple analysis systems to accurately simulate real-world scenarios. Ansys allows for the integration of different analysis systems to provide a comprehensive solution to complex problems.

3. What are the main differences between the various analysis systems in Ansys?

The main differences between the various analysis systems in Ansys lie in the type of problem they are designed to solve. Structural analysis focuses on the behavior of materials and structures under different loads, while thermal analysis deals with heat transfer and temperature distribution. Fluid dynamics analysis is used to study the behavior of fluids and gases, and electromagnetic analysis deals with the interaction of electric and magnetic fields.

4. Can I switch between analysis systems in Ansys?

Yes, you can switch between analysis systems in Ansys. If you find that your problem requires a different analysis system, you can easily switch to the appropriate one without losing your work. Ansys also allows for the integration of different analysis systems, so you can combine them to solve more complex problems.

5. How do I know if I am using the correct analysis system in Ansys?

The best way to know if you are using the correct analysis system in Ansys is to validate your results. This involves comparing your simulation results to known values or experimental data. If your results are consistent with the expected outcomes, then you can be confident that you have chosen the correct analysis system. If not, then you may need to reassess and consider using a different analysis system.