Neurons and neurotransmitters. The bigger picture?

In summary: Calcium is vital to neurotransmitter release.In summary, neurons communicate with each other through the release of chemical substances called neurotransmitters. It is generally thought that only one type of neurotransmitter is released from neuron A to neuron B at a time, but the modern view allows for a wider variety of chemicals. There are specific receptors for each type of neurotransmitter, but some can accept multiple chemicals or require a co-agonist to activate. The main purpose of a neuron is to process and store information, and this is done through the connections between neurons. Neurotransmitters do not carry information, but rather act as a key to open the receptor and allow for the redistribution of charges across the neuronal membrane. Further reading on neurotransmitters, ax
Pithikos
I am trying to learn about neuroscience on my own but every book I have picked up goes so much into details for every single thing that I tend to miss the bigger picture. I have some questions that I can't seem to find answers on, mainly about how neurons work. Keep in mind that I have a computer science background and my best topics are not chemistry or biology.

From what I understand neurons communicate with each other by each one releasing some chemical substance called neurotransmitter. This goes like a domino, one releasing its chemical into the next neuron, next neuron releasing the same type of chemical in the next one and so on. This is how neurons communicate with each other. This raises some questions in my mind though.

My questions:
  1. Can there be various types of neurotransmitters released from neuron A to neuron B at the same time? Or is it strictly one neurotransmitter per transmission so to say?
  2. Is there a specific type of receptor for every type of neurotransmitter in every neuron? Or is there one receptor in a neuron that can pick any type of neurotransmitter?
  3. What exactly is the main purpose of a neuron? To store information? To process it? (How?)
  4. If a neurotransmitter (say dopamine) is released from neuron A to neuron B, is the same substance (dopamine) be released from neuron B to neuron C? Is it also going to be the exact same quantity?
  5. How exactly is information transmitted between neurons since only a specific type of substance is transmitted? Do neurotransmitters somehow carry information?
For me all this is very confusing! Would appreciate some pointers :biggrin:

Biology news on Phys.org
Pithikos said:
I am trying to learn about neuroscience on my own but every book I have picked up goes so much into details for every single thing that I tend to miss the bigger picture. I have some questions that I can't seem to find answers on, mainly about how neurons work. Keep in mind that I have a computer science background and my best topics are not chemistry or biology.

From what I understand neurons communicate with each other by each one releasing some chemical substance called neurotransmitter. This goes like a domino, one releasing its chemical into the next neuron, next neuron releasing the same type of chemical in the next one and so on. This is how neurons communicate with each other. This raises some questions in my mind though.

My questions:
  1. Can there be various types of neurotransmitters released from neuron A to neuron B at the same time? Or is it strictly one neurotransmitter per transmission so to say?
  2. Is there a specific type of receptor for every type of neurotransmitter in every neuron? Or is there one receptor in a neuron that can pick any type of neurotransmitter?
  3. What exactly is the main purpose of a neuron? To store information? To process it? (How?)
  4. If a neurotransmitter (say dopamine) is released from neuron A to neuron B, is the same substance (dopamine) be released from neuron B to neuron C? Is it also going to be the exact same quantity?
  5. How exactly is information transmitted between neurons since only a specific type of substance is transmitted? Do neurotransmitters somehow carry information?
For me all this is very confusing! Would appreciate some pointers :biggrin:

1. When talking about classical neurotransmitters, I think for the most part, it's one neurotransmitter per neuron. But the modern view of neurotransmitters allows a lot more chemicals and makes the answer more complicated. For example, NO functions as a neurotransmitter.

2. There are neurotransmitters that can accept more than one chemical, and some that even require a co-agonist (a second ligand to activate). One example is NMDA receptors. They're known for requiring glutamate, but they also must have glycine or D-serine present as a co-agonist to activate. It has been found that astrocytes can provide the co-agonist.

3. It depends on what you mean by information. In a general sense, a single neuron does store information, but it's the connection between neurons that is best known for storing information most closely related to memories. A single neuron stores information about its excitability and genetic processes underlying it that also play a role.

4. No. A GABAergic neuron can synapse onto a glutamate neuron. Serotonin neurons project from the brainstem to other neurons outside the brianstem, but those neurons are not serotonin neurons.

5. All the neurotransmitter does is act as a key to the lock (the receptor). Once the receptor is opened, it's a matter of ion charge balance between the inside and outside of the cell, and the permeability of the receptor. Some receptors only let calcium through, so when they are activated, they will redistribute charges across the neuronal membrane based on the electrochemical properties of calcium in the cell.

Likes 1 person

1. What are neurons and neurotransmitters?

Neurons are specialized cells that transmit information throughout the body. They are the basic building blocks of the nervous system. Neurotransmitters are chemical messengers that allow neurons to communicate with each other and with other cells in the body.

2. How do neurons and neurotransmitters work together?

Neurons release neurotransmitters, which bind to receptors on other neurons, causing either an excitatory or inhibitory response. This allows for the transmission of signals between neurons and plays a crucial role in various bodily functions such as movement, sensation, and emotion.

3. What is the importance of understanding the bigger picture of neurons and neurotransmitters?

Understanding the bigger picture of neurons and neurotransmitters is essential for understanding how the nervous system functions and how it can be affected by various diseases and disorders. It also helps in developing treatments and medications for neurological conditions.

4. What are some common neurotransmitters and their functions?

Some common neurotransmitters include dopamine, serotonin, and acetylcholine. Dopamine is involved in reward and motivation, serotonin is linked to mood and emotion regulation, and acetylcholine plays a role in muscle movement and memory.

5. How does the dysfunction of neurons and neurotransmitters lead to neurological disorders?

Dysfunction of neurons and neurotransmitters can lead to neurological disorders in various ways. For example, decreased production of dopamine is associated with Parkinson's disease, while an imbalance of serotonin is linked to depression. Understanding these dysfunctions can aid in the development of treatments for these disorders.