Electric field strength in a square.

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnitude and direction of the electric field strength at point O, which is located in the center of a square with four equal charges at each corner. After some calculations, it is determined that the electric field strength at point O is q/(pi)(Enot)(x^2), taking into account the distance between O and each vertex. The conversation also clarifies that the charges are equal, except for the negative charge at the bottom left corner.
al_201314
Hi guys,

Suppose I have a point O in the centre of the square (of side length X), where the top 2 corners of the square carries a positive charge each and the bottom left corner a negative charge and the bottom right corner a positive charge, what would the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field strength at point O be? I figured that it would be towards M, but how do I find it's magnitude?

The given answer is q/(pi)(Enot)(x^2). I don't really understand why is the 4 missing?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First find the electric field due to each point charge, and then find the vector sum.
One more thing, you do mean electric field, don't you? Why would there be a magnetic field?

Thanks for the help. I apologise I did mean electric field was thinking of some other question at the same time! :wink:

Hi Siddarth

Wodner if you could help me out further here.. after some doing I realized I couldn't get rid of the 4, but it would instead be 2.

Here's my working, the electric field strength due to the top left and bottom right corner would be 0 as they cancel out (am I correct?). But the field strength due to the top right and bottom left corner would be 2q/4(pi)(Enot)(x^2)?

Thanks

al_201314 said:
Here's my working, the electric field strength due to the top left and bottom right corner would be 0 as they cancel out (am I correct?).
Yeah, if the charges are the same.

al_201314 said:
But the field strength due to the top right and bottom left corner would be 2q/4(pi)(Enot)(x^2)?
Thanks

Not quite, what's the distance of the center of the square O from each vertex? (It isn't x)

Also, I don't get the given answer. Are you sure the charges are equal?

Thanks Siddarth for the assistance.. I think I got the answer..

Yes the question states that 4 equal charges except for the bottom left is a negatively charged one compared to the rest of the positively charged ones.

Here's my complete working, I'll name the sides J, K L and M for ident purposes starting from the top left corner in a clockwise direction. So M is the point that carries the -ve charge. E field due J and L cancels each other. The (distance)^2 between K and O I calculated to be (x^2)/2 which is also the (distance)^2 between O and M. So by vector addition, E field due K and M should be in the same direction I got [q/4(pi)(Enot)(x^2)/2] + [q/4(pi)(Enot)(x^2)/2] which gives the answer to be q/(pi)(Enot0)(x^2) after cancelling out the numbers.

Thanks once again.

Yeah, that's right.

1. What is the formula for calculating electric field strength in a square?

The formula for calculating electric field strength in a square is E = V/d, where E is the electric field strength, V is the voltage, and d is the distance between the two parallel sides of the square.

2. What are the units of measurement for electric field strength in a square?

The units of measurement for electric field strength in a square are volts per meter (V/m).

3. How does increasing the voltage affect the electric field strength in a square?

Increasing the voltage will also increase the electric field strength in a square, as they are directly proportional to each other according to the formula E = V/d.

4. Does the size of the square affect the electric field strength?

Yes, the size of the square does affect the electric field strength. The larger the square, the greater the distance between the two parallel sides, which will result in a lower electric field strength according to the formula E = V/d.

5. Can the electric field strength in a square be negative?

Yes, the electric field strength in a square can be negative, depending on the direction of the electric field. If the electric field is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive direction, it will have a negative value.