What is the resistance of the heater?

In summary, the student uses an immersion heater to heat a cup of water (300mL) from 20ºC to 80ºC for tea. The heater is 75% efficient and takes 2.5 min to heat the water. To find the resistance of the heater, we use the formula R=V^2/P and calculate the total energy needed to heat the water, taking into account the 75% efficiency. The resulting value for resistance is 21.5 ohms.
endeavor
"A student uses an immersion heater to heat a cup of water (300mL) from 20ºC to 80ºC for tea. If it is 75% efficient and takes 2.5 min, what is the resistance of the heater? (Assume 120-V household voltage.)"

Here's what I did:
V= 0.75 * 120 = 90V
mass of water = 0.3 kg, specific heat c = 4186 J/(kg*Cº)
T = change in temp = 60ºC
t = 2.5 min = 150s

Q (heat) = W (work) = mcT = 75348 J
P = W/t = 502.32 W
P = 0.75 * P = 376.74 W
P = V2/R
R = V2/P = 21.5 ohms

First, are my values for voltage and power correct? I wasn't sure where to apply the 75% efficiency.

Second, is my answer correct? it's supposed to be 21 ohms... I changed some values to have exactly 2 significant figures, but my answer just gets farther away from 21. (for example, I tried changing 75348 J to 75000J, but that makes the answer 21.6 ohms, which is farther away from 21 ohms...)

Physics news on Phys.org
endeavor said:
"A student uses an immersion heater to heat a cup of water (300mL) from 20ºC to 80ºC for tea. If it is 75% efficient and takes 2.5 min, what is the resistance of the heater? (Assume 120-V household voltage.)"

Here's what I did:
V= 0.75 * 120 = 90V
mass of water = 0.3 kg, specific heat c = 4186 J/(kg*Cº)
T = change in temp = 60ºC
t = 2.5 min = 150s

First, are my values for voltage and power correct? I wasn't sure where to apply the 75% efficiency.
No. Since [itex]P = V^2/R \text{ or } P = I^2R[/itex], the energy consumed by the resistance is proportional to the square of the voltage or current. If it is 75% efficient, then [itex]E = .75 * I^2R\Delta t[/itex]

Also, who drinks tea made with 80ºC water? You need to bring it to a boil!

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
No. Since [itex]P = V^2/R \text{ or } P = I^2R[/itex], the energy consumed by the resistance is proportional to the square of the voltage or current. If it is 75% efficient, then [itex]E = .75 * I^2R\Delta t[/itex]

Also, who drinks tea made with 80ºC water? You need to bring it to a boil!

AM
So [tex]R = .75 * \frac{V^2}{E}\Delta t[/tex]
but Power = E / time, so
[tex]R = .75 * \frac{V^2}{P}[/tex]
I arrive at the same answer (21.5 ohms) however, but that's probably a coincidence?

Your answer is right actually because you didn't use V=90 volts in your calculation.

AM

endeavor said:
So [tex]R = .75 * \frac{V^2}{E}\Delta t[/tex]
but Power = E / time, so
[tex]R = .75 * \frac{V^2}{P}[/tex]
I arrive at the same answer (21.5 ohms) however, but that's probably a coincidence?

I also got R=21.5 ohms. First, get the total energy needed to boil the water from 20deg to 80deg. Second, take note that energy per 2.5min is only 75% so u need to make it 100%. Finally, apply R =V^2/P to get R.

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material opposes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms and is dependent on the material's conductivity, length, and cross-sectional area.

2. How is resistance related to a heater?

In a heater, resistance is related to how much the material resists the flow of electricity, which in turn creates heat. The higher the resistance, the more heat is generated.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a heater?

The resistance of a heater is affected by the material it is made of, its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. As temperature increases, the resistance of the heater also increases.

4. How is resistance measured in a heater?

The resistance of a heater can be measured using a multimeter, which measures the voltage and current in the heater and calculates the resistance using Ohm's law (R=V/I).

5. Can the resistance of a heater be changed?

Yes, the resistance of a heater can be changed by altering its material, length, and cross-sectional area. It can also be changed by adjusting the voltage or current supplied to the heater.