What are the values of the integral and derivative for the Dirichlet function?

In summary, the function f(x) is defined as 1 for every integer or rational value of x, and 0 for all other values. Therefore, it is neither Riemann integrable nor differentiable. However, a similar function g(x) can be defined using the Dirichlet function, and in this case, g'(x) is equal to f'(x) for non-integer values of x.
Karlisbad
let be the function f(x) so

f(x)=1 for every integer or rational.

f(x)=0 otherwise..

my questions are, what's the value of [tex] \int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx [/tex] and f'(x) (i think the second value is 0 for every x, but I'm not sure) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
The function is neither Riemann integrable, nor differentiable. It is not even continuous os has no chance of being differentiable. It is Lebesgue integrable and the integral is identically zero.

Oh..sorry, i saw a similar example, they defined the function:

g(x)= f(x)+a(x) iff x is an integer

g(x)=f(x) otherwise.

where a(x) is the function (i don't know its name) that is 1 iff x is a rational and 0 otherwise. :shy: :shy: then you had the question of defining g'(x)

Karlisbad said:
Oh..sorry, i saw a similar example, they defined the function:

g(x)= f(x)+a(x) iff x is an integer

g(x)=f(x) otherwise.

where a(x) is the function (i don't know its name) that is 1 iff x is a rational and 0 otherwise. :shy: :shy: then you had the question of defining g'(x)
Obviously, g(x)= f(x) for all non-integer x so g'(x)= f'(x) for non-integer x. Since g is not continuous at integer x, g is not differentiable there.

As a completely unnecessary addition to the previous posts, the function you started with is famous enough to have gained its own name: it is called the Dirichlet function.

What is the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of the function at a specific point. It is also known as the slope of the function at that point.

How is the derivative of a function calculated?

The derivative of a function can be calculated using the limit definition of the derivative, which involves taking the limit as the change in the input variable approaches zero. Alternatively, it can be calculated using various derivative rules such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule.

What is the significance of the derivative in calculus?

The derivative is a fundamental concept in calculus and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of functions. It helps in determining the maximum and minimum points of a function, finding the slope of a tangent line, and solving optimization problems.

What is the relationship between the derivative and the slope of a function?

The derivative of a function is equal to the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the function's graph. This means that the derivative represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function, or the slope of the function at a particular point.

Can the derivative of a function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a function can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, and the slope of the tangent line is negative. Likewise, a positive derivative means the function is increasing, and a zero derivative means the function has a constant slope.