Calculating the outcome of a reaction, how to?

• Thread starter pippo90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation is about trying to calculate the products of mixing two reactants in a chemistry class. The teacher instructed the students to exclude certain chemicals in the equation if they did not react, and provided a list of reactions and a solubility chart for reference. The conversation also mentions a website that may be helpful.
pippo90
me and my friend are trying to figure out how to calculate the product(s) of two reactants, is there a way yo knowing what will mix with what? we did a lab I am my chemistry class where we mixed certain chemicals one group was all i think nitrates and then the other all something else so it was like Lead III Nitrate and Pottassium Chloride and then we needed to figrue out if a reaction occurred if it did we needed to write the product but the teacher said to exclude either nitrate and say pottasium because the didnt react in the equatsion so for example it would have turend out to

Lead III Chloride, so is there a certin way of being able to calculate the out come of the mixing of two chemicals? if there isn't a specific way is there a way i can find out or a website that can help me?

thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It may be handy to have a solubility chart around. Heres a list of reactions.

http://web.fccj.edu/~ksanchez/1032/wksheet/Reactions.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
yey

awsome! thansk for the help :biggrin:

No such thing as lead (III).

i was just givng an example but thansk anyways

1. What is the first step in calculating the outcome of a reaction?

The first step is to identify the reactants and products involved in the reaction. This can be done by writing out the chemical equation for the reaction.

2. How do I determine the limiting reactant in a reaction?

To determine the limiting reactant, you will need to compare the moles of each reactant present in the reaction. The reactant with the smaller number of moles is the limiting reactant.

3. What is the difference between theoretical yield and actual yield?

Theoretical yield is the amount of product that should be produced based on stoichiometric calculations, while actual yield is the amount of product actually obtained in a reaction.

4. How do I calculate the percent yield of a reaction?

Percent yield is calculated by dividing the actual yield by the theoretical yield and multiplying by 100%. This represents the efficiency of the reaction in producing the desired product.

5. Can I predict the outcome of a reaction without performing the experiment?

While theoretical calculations can give an idea of the expected outcome of a reaction, they cannot account for all factors and may not accurately predict the actual outcome. Performing the experiment is necessary to determine the true outcome of a reaction.