Exploring Black Holes: Introduction to General Relativity

In summary, "Exploring Black Holes: Introduction to General Relativity" by Wheeler is a good book for both self-education and teaching. It has a simple and informal style and covers the subject well, as evidenced by the first two online chapters and the introduction. It is recommended to read these sections before deciding to purchase the book.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
what do you think about the book:
Exploring Black Holes: Introduction to General Relativity by Wheeler?
Do you think i should buy it?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't own the book, but the first two chapters and the introduction are online

http://www.eftaylor.com/download.html#general_relativity

I rather liked it, it looks like a reasonably good and simple introduction to GR. I'd suggest reading the first two online chapters - if you like the somewhat informal style, go for it. Also read the introduction (front matter) - the authors explain what they do and do not cover.

From what I've read, for an introduction to the subject, it's great.

It is a good book, whether you are using as an introduction for yourself or as a pedgological resource to help teach others.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself.

2. How does general relativity explain black holes?

General relativity is a theory that explains how gravity works in the universe. It states that gravity is the result of the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects. In the case of black holes, the extreme mass and density cause a significant curvature in space and time, leading to the formation of a black hole.

3. Can we see black holes?

No, we cannot see black holes directly since they do not emit light. However, we can indirectly observe them through their effects on nearby matter and light. Scientists use telescopes and other instruments to study the behavior of stars and gas around black holes to understand their properties.

4. What is the event horizon of a black hole?

The event horizon is the point of no return for objects that enter a black hole. Once an object crosses the event horizon, it is pulled into the black hole and cannot escape. The size of the event horizon depends on the mass of the black hole, with larger black holes having a larger event horizon.

5. Can anything escape from a black hole?

No, once an object crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. However, some particles can escape from the black hole's edges, known as the event horizon, due to quantum effects. This phenomenon is called Hawking radiation and is yet to be fully understood by scientists.