How do I calculate the enthalpy change for this reaction?

• Thread starter L²Cc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the enthalpy change for the reaction of burning 90cm^3 of methane and raising the temperature of 100cm^3 of water from 20.0°C to 50.0°C is calculated using the formula mass x specific heat capacity x change in temperature. The result is -12.54 KJ. The enthalpy of combustion is defined as the change in enthalpy of the total reacting system, including the surroundings, during a constant pressure process.
L²Cc
When 90cm^3 of methane is burned, the heat produced is used to raise the temperature of 100 cm^3 of water from 20.0°C to 50.0C. Calculate the enthalpy change for the reaction.

I'm not getting the same answer as the textbook...Please tell me whether my method is correct

All you do here is use the formula mass x specific heat capacity x change in temp. So,
the enthalpy change would be -(100/1000) x (4.18) x (30) = -12.54 KJ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. For questions of this kind, please use the Homework & Coursework subforum.

2. You've found the heat produced in burning 90cc of methane. How is the enthalpy of combustion defined?

the change in enthalpy of the total reacting system

What is enthalpy change?

Enthalpy change, also known as heat of reaction, is the amount of energy absorbed or released during a chemical reaction or physical change.

How do you calculate enthalpy change?

Enthalpy change can be calculated using the formula ΔH = H(products) - H(reactants), where ΔH is the enthalpy change, H(products) is the enthalpy of the products, and H(reactants) is the enthalpy of the reactants.

What is the standard state for enthalpy change calculations?

The standard state for enthalpy change calculations is when the reactants and products are in their standard states, which are typically at a pressure of 1 bar and a temperature of 25°C.

How is enthalpy change affected by temperature and pressure?

Enthalpy change is affected by temperature and pressure, as changes in these variables can alter the energy required for a reaction to occur. Higher temperatures and pressures can result in larger enthalpy changes.

What are some applications of enthalpy change?

Enthalpy change is used in various applications, such as in the production of energy from fuels, in the design of chemical processes, and in the study of thermodynamics and chemical kinetics.