How come my mobile phone recharged in 5 minutes?

• Thread starter PIT2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mobile
In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where a mobile phone was recharged in only 5 minutes after being left on all day and not fully charged. The speaker is skeptical about the indicator showing a full charge and mentions that lithium ion batteries tend to go bad after a certain amount of cycles. They also mention having the phone for 5 years and question if it will continue to work without being recharged. Another person suggests that the problem could be with the indicator falsely showing a low battery and offers a possible explanation for the quick recharge time. Overall, the conversation centers around the unusual charging time and possible reasons for it.
PIT2
How come my mobile phone recharged in 5 minutes?

On monday i had accidently left my phone on all day, and the batteries were almost empty. Then i forgot to recharge it in the evening, and the next morning was only able to do so for 5 minutes. When i unplugged it after 5 minutes, the batteries were fully charged and they have been so for the last 3 days!

How can this be possible?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The indicator lies. It may not be fully charged.

I'm sure the indicator is lying, how long have you had the phone?

Lithium Ion batteries tend to go bad after a certain amount of cycles. My old phone used to be like that too after having it for a while.

Ive had the phone for 5 years maybe. Its still lying to me and saying its completely charged. I guess i should recharge but I am curious if it will keep working without it.

I don't think the problem was with the indicator lying that it was full, but that it was empty! If it can run on 5mins charge for 3 days, then the indicator falsely told you the batteries were low, or you have a US Army hyper-Lithium Ion battery for your big chunk of a phone :)

I was just going to say that your battery was dead but I didnt see Gib Z's post. When my laptop battery was dying it would charge faster and faster until eventually when I tried to take out the power cord, it would just turn off. I'd put my money on what Gib Z said.

1. How is it possible for a mobile phone to recharge in just 5 minutes?

There are several factors that contribute to the fast recharging time of a mobile phone. First, advancements in battery technology have allowed for the development of high capacity batteries that can store more energy in a smaller space. Additionally, the use of fast charging technology, such as Qualcomm's Quick Charge or Oppo's VOOC, allows for a higher voltage and current to be delivered to the battery, resulting in faster recharging times. Furthermore, some phones use a combination of both wired and wireless charging to boost the charging speed.

2. Will my phone's battery lifespan be affected by fast charging?

Fast charging does not necessarily affect the overall lifespan of a battery. However, frequent use of fast charging may cause the battery to degrade faster over time. It is recommended to use fast charging sparingly and to avoid charging the phone to 100% every time, as this can also contribute to battery degradation.

3. Can any phone recharge in 5 minutes, or only certain models?

Not all phones are capable of recharging in 5 minutes. The ability to recharge quickly depends on the phone's battery capacity, as well as the technology used for fast charging. High-end smartphones typically have larger battery capacities and support fast charging, while budget or older models may not have these features.

4. Are there any risks associated with fast charging?

There are some potential risks associated with fast charging, such as overheating or damaging the battery. However, most smartphones have built-in safety measures to prevent these risks. It is important to use the charger and cable provided by the manufacturer, as using third-party accessories may increase the risk of damage.

5. Is it safe to use my phone while it is fast charging?

It is generally safe to use your phone while it is fast charging. However, for optimal charging speed and to prevent overheating, it is recommended to avoid using battery-intensive apps or games while the phone is charging. It is also advisable to charge the phone on a flat, stable surface to prevent any accidents or damage to the phone or charger.