Calculating Time for a Transverse Wave on a String | Help Needed

• Thread starter brookelynne3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Girl
In summary, a particle on the string moves transversely only. It never moves down the string along the .19 m wavelength.
brookelynne3
help a girl out please :(

:cry:Ok I don't know exactally what I am doing wrong here, someone please help!:cry:

The speed of a transverse wave on a string is 400 m/s, and the wavelength is 0.19 m. The amplitude of the wave is 1 mm. How much time is required for a particle of the string to move through a total distance of 1.0 km?

I tried to solve for this by:
v=lamda/T so..
400=.19/t which equals a time of
.000475 seconds per cycle and i thought if I want 1000m (1km) i need to go 1000m/.19m to get how many cycles are necessary, that equals 5263.15 cycles to go 1000 meters so...
5263.15 cycles (.000475m/cycle)=2.5 seconds to complete all the cycles that equals 1000 meters or 1 km.
Except when I input this into my computer, its saying its wrong. can anyone pelase tell me what I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, a particle on the string moves transversely only. It never moves down the string along the .19 m wavelength.

Each cycle, the particle moves 1 mm in each direction, for a 2 mm total motion. You can take it from there to find the number of cycles, and time, to go 1 km.

so what does that mean

I don't get what to do with that, I really can't take it from there..
do Imultiply the amount of cycles by .002m and then by time or do I use the .002m to find the amount of cycles?

marcusl is pointing out that your problem statement is incorrect. The particles of the string only move up and down with the wave rhythm, not down the length of the string (nothing moves 1km down the string except the waves). Could you please try posting the exact text of the question?

For each cycle it will cover a distance of four millimeters. That is two down and two up. One needs to be careful in calculating the elapsed time for the fractional cycles though, since it is not motion at a constant speed.

Your approach was correct, except that when you figured out how many cycles it would take to total 1000m, you used the wrong distance for the distance traveled per cycle. Use instead the distance suggested in the other posts, in the same calculations you did before, and you should be fine.

1. What does "Help a girl out please" mean?

"Help a girl out please" is a phrase that is often used to ask for assistance or support from others, specifically directed towards women or girls. It can be a request for help with a specific task or a general call for aid.

2. Why is it important to help girls out?

It is important to help girls out because they often face unique challenges and barriers in society, such as gender discrimination and limited access to education and resources. By providing support and assistance, we can help girls reach their full potential and promote gender equality.

3. How can I help a girl out?

There are many ways to help a girl out, depending on the specific situation. Some examples include offering emotional support, providing resources or information, advocating for gender equality, and being an ally in promoting equal opportunities for girls.

4. How does helping a girl out benefit society as a whole?

Helping a girl out can benefit society as a whole by promoting gender equality and empowering girls to reach their full potential. When girls are given equal opportunities and support, they can contribute to society in various ways, such as through their work, leadership, and innovations.

5. Can I only help girls out if I am a woman?

No, anyone can help a girl out regardless of their gender. Supporting and empowering girls is not limited to women only, and everyone has a role to play in promoting gender equality and creating a more inclusive and equal society for all.