Integrate (5x+2)dx/(x-2) from 0->1

• Thread starter erjkism
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation is about integrating (5x+2)dx/(x-2) from 0 to 1. The person trying to solve the problem has tried splitting the equation and using different U substitutions, but has been unsuccessful. Another person suggests using u=x-2 as a substitution, which converts the integral into a linear polynomial that can be easily integrated using the power rule.
erjkism
i am trying to integrate Integrate (5x+2)dx/(x-2) from 0 to 1. i have tried splitting the equation up into (5x)/(x-2) + (2)/(x-2)
i have tried every U substitution i can think of but i can't figure out how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which substitutions have you tried? What about u=x-2?

Note in future that you should post these sort of questions in the suitable homework forum, and no the technical forums.

sorry about that

integration by parts

u=(5x+2) dv=(1/(x-2))

cristo said:
Which substitutions have you tried? What about u=x-2?

Note in future that you should post these sort of questions in the suitable homework forum, and no the technical forums.

how would that work?

Last edited:
The u substitution suggested above completely kills the problem ice. The integral becomes a linear polynomial in u over u, and then can be broken into pieces and integrated by the power rule.

ice109 said:
how would that work?

Let u=x-2, then du=dx and x=u+2. This converts the integral into [tex]\int\frac{5(u+2)du}{u}=\int\left[5+\frac{10}{u}\right]du[/tex]

cristo said:
Let u=x-2, then du=dx and x=u+2. This converts the integral into [tex]\int\frac{5(u+2)du}{u}=\int\left[5+\frac{10}{u}\right]du[/tex]

feck I am dumb

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is the inverse of differentiation and is used to calculate the total change in a quantity over a given interval.

What is the formula for integration?

The formula for integration is ∫f(x)dx, where f(x) represents the function being integrated and dx represents the infinitesimal change in x.

How do you integrate (5x+2)dx/(x-2) from 0->1?

To integrate (5x+2)dx/(x-2) from 0->1, you can use the substitution method. Let u = x-2, then du = dx. The integral becomes ∫(5u+12)du/u from -2->-1. Using the power rule for integration, the integral becomes 5ln(u) + 12ln(u) from -2->-1. Substituting back for u, the final answer is 5ln(x-2) + 12ln(x-2) from 0->1.

What is the significance of the limits of integration (0->1)?

The limits of integration (0->1) represent the interval over which the integration is being performed. In this case, it means that the area under the curve of the function (5x+2)dx/(x-2) is being calculated from x=0 to x=1.

Can integration be used in real-world applications?

Yes, integration is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more to solve problems related to rates of change, areas, volumes, and other quantities. It is a powerful tool in understanding and analyzing real-world phenomena.