Independent research - paintball

In summary, the conversation discusses the assignment of researching the design and use of protective equipment, specifically hockey equipment. The main safety feature of this equipment is its ability to create a larger deceleration distance and redirect impact away from sensitive areas. The conversation also considers the option of researching paintball equipment, but ultimately suggests focusing on a topic such as cars or bulletproof vests, which offer more opportunities to apply physics in real-life situations. The two types of protection mentioned are those that reduce velocity before impact through friction and those that spread out the force of impact over a larger area.
trigiani
independent research - hockey

Homework Statement

I have been assigned a physics project to do over the break. I need to research the design and use of a piece of protective equipment - I have decided on hockey equipment.

2. The attempt at a solution

The most obvious feature is that the equipment creates a larger distance over which the object can decelerate before hitting the body. I have read on some companies' websites that the equipment actually redirects impact away from sensitive areas (knees, shins, etc.). I appreciate any suggestions of other safety design features I can focus on.I was also thinking of doing the assignment on paintball - specifically how the mask is used to keep players safe. I'm having trouble deciding which one would include more applications of physics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i guess for paintballing you can say the mask increases time which decreases the force
a car would be better i think

trigiani said:

Homework Statement

I have been assigned a physics project to do over the break. I need to research the design and use of a piece of protective equipment - I have decided on hockey equipment.

2. The attempt at a solution

The most obvious feature is that the equipment creates a larger distance over which the object can decelerate before hitting the body. I have read on some companies' websites that the equipment actually redirects impact away from sensitive areas (knees, shins, etc.). I appreciate any suggestions of other safety design features I can focus on.

I was also thinking of doing the assignment on paintball - specifically how the mask is used to keep players safe. I'm having trouble deciding which one would include more applications of physics.

Do what the guy above says. If you do something on paintball gaurds your report is going to be as boring as hell. However if you did something on cars, or my choice which would be kevlar bullet proof vests (I know its not very original) you would have loads of physics to talk about and what's more you would be able to apply it to real like situations which would make your report/presentation stand out a lot more.

I think basically there are two sorts of protection: that which reduces the velocity before impact using friction (e.g. the crash zone of a car) and that which spreads out the force of the impact over a large area instead (e.g. bullet proof vest).

1. What is independent research in the context of paintball?

Independent research in paintball refers to conducting a scientific investigation or study on a specific aspect of the sport without being affiliated with a specific paintball company or organization. It allows for unbiased and objective findings to be obtained.

2. What are the benefits of conducting independent research in paintball?

Independent research in paintball can provide valuable insights and knowledge about the sport, which can help improve equipment, techniques, and strategies. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the physical and psychological effects of the game on players.

3. How is independent research in paintball different from sponsored research?

Independent research in paintball is not influenced by any outside interests or funding, whereas sponsored research is often conducted by a company or organization with a specific agenda or goal in mind. Independent research is also typically more rigorous and unbiased.

4. What are some common topics of independent research in paintball?

Some common topics of independent research in paintball include the effects of equipment on performance, the physical demands of the sport, the effectiveness of different strategies, and the psychological aspects of the game.

5. How can independent research in paintball benefit the overall paintball community?

Independent research in paintball can benefit the overall paintball community by providing evidence-based information and recommendations that can improve the sport for all players. It can also help dispel myths and misconceptions about paintball and promote a better understanding of the game.