Solving Temperature Profile in Long Thin Plate

• Thread starter ZeroScope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, the problem at hand involves determining the temperature profile in a long thin plate with a width of 30 units. The plate is kept at zero temperature on three sides, while the remaining short edge is heated in a way that produces a temperature profile that falls off linearly on either side of the edge's center. To establish this two-dimensional temperature profile, one must sketch the situation, determine the type of differential equation that applies, and rephrase the boundary conditions provided as formulas. The heated edge has a gradient that must be calculated in order to find the boundary condition, which can be represented as a triangle on a T-x graph. The question remains whether or not to add the gradients for the positive and negative slopes, which would result
ZeroScope
Determine the temperature profile in a long thin plate 30 units wide and kept at zero temperature at three sides. The remaining short edge is heated in such a way that a temperature profile falling off, linearly on either side of the centre of the edge, is produced. To establish the two-dimensional temperature profile,
T(x,y),
i) sketch the situation,
ii) decide which type of differential equation describes the problem,
iii) rephrase the boundary conditions given in the description as formulae,

This is half a question for an exam that i am taking tomorrow. I can solve everything else about the question but there is one thing that i can't get my head around.

When deciding boundary conditions all are equal to zero apart from the heated edge.
Now i know in order to find the BC for the heated edge that the gradient of the temperature profile must be calculated. (this is a triangle on a T, x graph).

Obviously i would get two gradients, one for the positive slope and one for the negative slope. Do i add these together? If so then i get 2t for the T(x,0) edge.

For more insight into what i mean by the graph i have attached a paint document showing it.

Attachments

• problemheatplate.bmp
    255.1 KB · Views: 588
Physics news on Phys.org
Its just accured to me that as the question states that "the remaining short edge is heated in such a way that a temperature profile, falling off linearly on either side of the centre of the edge, is produced.

Does this just mean the the profile is : T(x,0) = kx? (proportional to x)

1. What is the purpose of solving temperature profile in a long thin plate?

The purpose of solving temperature profile in a long thin plate is to understand how heat is distributed throughout the plate and to determine the temperature at different points within the plate. This information is important in various engineering and scientific applications, such as designing cooling systems or predicting the behavior of materials under different thermal conditions.

2. How is the temperature profile in a long thin plate typically solved?

The temperature profile in a long thin plate is typically solved using mathematical models and equations, which take into account factors such as the material properties of the plate, its dimensions, and the boundary conditions. These equations can be solved analytically or numerically using computer software.

3. What are the main factors that affect the temperature profile in a long thin plate?

The main factors that affect the temperature profile in a long thin plate include the thermal conductivity of the material, the heat source or sink, the dimensions of the plate, and the boundary conditions. Other factors such as external heat transfer and internal heat generation may also play a role.

4. Can the temperature profile in a long thin plate change over time?

Yes, the temperature profile in a long thin plate can change over time if there is a time-dependent heat source or if the boundary conditions are time-varying. In these cases, the temperature profile will also change over time and can be solved using time-dependent equations.

5. What are some practical applications of solving temperature profile in a long thin plate?

Solving temperature profile in a long thin plate has many practical applications, such as in the design of heat exchangers, electronic cooling systems, and thermal insulation. It is also important in understanding the behavior of materials under different thermal conditions, such as in manufacturing processes or in predicting the performance of structures in extreme temperatures.