Most probable double major/minor

• Programs
  • Thread starter offtheleft
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a person who is currently studying Physics and Mathematics in community college and wants to transfer to a university for Astrophysics or Astronomy. They are considering double majoring and adding a minor, as well as a possible triple major, but are unsure of the feasibility and advisability of such a combination. They also discuss the availability of degrees and programs in Astronomy, Cosmology, and Aeronautical Engineering, and the potential for employment and graduate school with a degree in Physics or Astronomy. Ultimately, it is suggested that a double major in Physics and Astronomy or Physics and Mathematics would be the most beneficial for pursuing a graduate degree in the field.
offtheleft
I'm currently in community college double majoring in Physics and Mathematics. When I transfer out I want to major in Astrophysics or Astronomy, pending on the program and what schools actually accept me. I was just curious on what type of combinations with double majoring and minors would work. I even contemplated a triple major, is it even allowed? I'm sure with ample effort it could be possible and how related each major is, I guess.

Here are the things being considered:

Astronomy/Astrophysics - main focus but, I want one more than one degree to broaden my horizons.
Mathematics - I'm not sure what direction but more of an algebraic route.
Aeronautical Engineering - If available
Cosmology - I can't seem to find what institutions have this as a major/minor. It was on college board not to long ago, I guess not anymore.
Physics/Applied Physics - (As a minor) Depending on what programs are offered

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there's a degree for astronomy/astrophysics. I haven't heard of one. They both fall under physics bachelor degree. Same goes for cosmology I guess. And I don't think a triple major is advisable, although if all 3 majors are largely related to one another, it may barely be doable, although it'll be very tough if aeronautical engineering as listed as one of those triple majors.

You won't be able to study for an undergraduate degree in cosmology solely because you need a *lot* of prerequisite knowledge of physics/maths to study cosmology.

Aeronautical engineering is not something easy to tack on. That's an additional 75 or so credits

Defennder said:
I don't think there's a degree for astronomy/astrophysics. I haven't heard of one. They both fall under physics bachelor degree. Same goes for cosmology I guess.

You sure? I'm almost positive there is a degree for Astronomy. I know for a fact Northern Arizona offers a B.S. in Astronomy. They also offer a 5-year program to get a M.S. in Astronomy. Thats just to name one school, though.
cristo said:
You won't be able to study for an undergraduate degree in cosmology solely because you need a *lot* of prerequisite knowledge of physics/maths to study cosmology.

Ah, I wasn't to sure about it. Never hurts to ask :)
ekrim said:
Aeronautical engineering is not something easy to tack on. That's an additional 75 or so credits

Just asking, it was another "major" I happened to be interested in. Only wanted to see the odds, etc.

So, I'm guessing that the most probable would be Astro and Math? I would graduate with a B.S in Astronomy/Astrophysics/Physics (pending school and program) and a B.S. in mathematics. Correct?
I was considering doing Northern Arizona's 5-year M.S program. Is it a good option or should I save anything higher than a B.S. for grad school?

Last edited:
Yeah, an MS in Physics/Astronomy isn't terribly useful. If you go for a PhD afterwards, you'll probably have to retake the classes you took for your MS anyways, and an MS in Physics is barely more employable than a BS in Physics. Most US schools don't even offer an MS in Physics program, and the only way people end up with an MS is if they went there for a PhD but failed the qualifying exam.

Keep in mind that there aren't many jobs in astronomy if you don't have a PhD in the field. And if you're planning on going on to graduate school in astronomy, what you really should be majoring in is physics. A double major in physics and astronomy or physics and math would be the best preparation for graduate school in physics, astrophysics, or astronomy.

Yes, astronomy and astrophysics are majors at many schools, but double majoring in them is almost pointless - there's so much overlap it's only a few more courses. Physics is more useful. Cosmology is a subfield of astronomy and physics, and usually only offered as a course at the undergrad level, not a major. Aeronautical engineering is for a different track - more practical than research-oriented. Which way to you want to go?

Monocles said:
Yeah, an MS in Physics/Astronomy isn't terribly useful. If you go for a PhD afterwards, you'll probably have to retake the classes you took for your MS anyways, and an MS in Physics is barely more employable than a BS in Physics.
So far, credible.

Most US schools don't even offer an MS in Physics program, ...
Maybe so, seems mostly credible, but how much does "Most" really mean? Anyway, it is credible. MOST.

and the only way people end up with an MS is if they went there for a PhD but failed the qualifying exam.
Not true. At least two universities in California offer a terminal Masters degree in Physics, with no PhD program in Physics. Research as part of those programs is also an option.

Well, I do plan to get my Ph.D, no doubt about that. But, I have this terrible habit of running before I can walk so I'm going to play this out the right way and not screw it up like I've done many times in the past. Meaning - I'm worrying about getting out of community college and getting into/learning and graduating from a four-year institution before I start to worry about graduate school. As far as grad school is concerned, I'm going. Most likely directly after I get my Bachelors but, that's years down the line.

symbolipoint said:
Not true. At least two universities in California offer a terminal Masters degree in Physics, with no PhD program in Physics. Research as part of those programs is also an option.

It's only not true if you pretend that there wasn't a qualifying statement at the start of the sentence. I suppose I could have made it a bit more clear of what I meant, though.

another question arises... Would it be more beneficial to major in physics or applied physics? Like whAt would look better when I apply to grad school?

What do you intend to do in grad school?

Defennder said:
What do you intend to do in grad school?

Astrophysics/Astronomy &/or Mathematics.

anyone?

differences, advantages/disadvantages what looks better??

applied physics vs. physics

1. What is a double major/minor?

A double major/minor is when a student chooses to pursue two different areas of study, typically within the same field or discipline, in order to earn two separate degrees or qualifications.

2. Is a double major/minor worth it?

Whether or not a double major/minor is worth it depends on the individual's goals and interests. It can provide a more well-rounded education and potentially increase job opportunities, but it also requires a heavy course load and may delay graduation.

3. How do I choose a most probable double major/minor?

The most probable double major/minor will depend on your interests, career goals, and the requirements of your chosen field of study. It's important to research and speak with academic advisors to determine the best combination for you.

4. Can I switch my double major/minor later on?

It is possible to switch your double major/minor later on, but it may require additional courses or a longer time to graduate. It's important to plan and consider potential changes early on in your academic career.

5. How can I manage the workload of a double major/minor?

Managing the workload of a double major/minor can be challenging, but it's important to prioritize and plan your time effectively. Take advantage of resources such as time management techniques, study groups, and academic support services to help you succeed.