Throwing a Ball: Find Max Vertical Distance

• Thread starter chanv1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, a girl can throw a ball a maximum horizontal distance of R = 42 meters on a level field. However, she can throw the ball a maximum vertical distance of 64.35 meters if she uses the equation y(t) = y_o + v_o*t + .5at.
chanv1

Homework Statement

By throwing a ball at an angle of 35°, a girl can throw it a maximum horizontal distance of R = 42 m on a level field. How far can she throw the same ball vertically upward? Assume that her muscles give the ball the same speed in each case.

How far? in meters

Homework Equations

a^2 + b^2 = c ^2 or ..
y int + (v int * sin beta) t - (1/2) g*t^2 ??

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the first triangle hyp = 24.19, adj = 12.01, opp = 21 with angles of 35, 90 and 55

Is that the right start of the problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you given the initial velocity of the projectile? It appears not from your given problem statement, but you can calculate it with the equation for the range of a projectile:

[tex] R = \frac{v^{2}_{0}}{g}sin2\theta [/tex]

Does this help?

from that equation, I got initial velocity = 18.92

sin (35) *2 = 1.15
42/1.15 = 36.52
36.52 * 9.8 = 357.91
st root of 357.91 = 18.92

Is that the correct answer then?

Last edited:
No, this equation will yield only the initial velocity, which is what you need to determine how high the projectile can be thrown vertically. Also, you have a mistake.

When [tex] \theta = 35 [/tex],

[tex] 2\theta = 70 [/tex]

So you want sin(70), not sin(35) * 2. Do you see? If not, see that they are different by inputting them into the calculator.

Thanks for your help buffordboy!

No problem, did you get the final answer though (maximum height)?

I think I got it.

Do I use v_t = at + int velocity to get the time

0 = -9.8(t) + 20.93; t = 2.13 s

then I plug that into
x(t) = x_o + v_o*t + .5at

x(t) = 42 + 20.93(2.13) + .5 (-9.8)(2.13^2)

to get the maximum height?

which I got is 64.35 m, am I correct or is it completely off?

Last edited:
Your equation to get the time was the correct step, and your time value t is correct as well.

Now, the second equation has an error. You substituted 42m into the equation; this value is the range (maximum x-distance) for the given problem.

You want to know the maximum vertical distance; this is the y-direction. Use

y(t) = y_o + v_o*t + .5at

where y_o = 0; this says the initial height of the ball is at the origin, so when you find y(t) with t = 2.13 s you will find the maximum height y_max = 22.35m.

Note that y_o could be y_o = 42 m; this says that the initial height of the ball is 42 m above the origin. With this y_o you will find that y(t) = 64.35 m for t = 2.13 s. But y_max = y(t) - y_o = 64.35 m - 42 m = 22.35 m. Same answer, even though we used two different points as our origin. Does this make sense?

yes, thank you very much! how do I mark this thread as solved?

What is the maximum vertical distance a ball can reach when thrown?

The maximum vertical distance a ball can reach when thrown depends on various factors such as the initial velocity, angle of release, air resistance, and gravity. It can be calculated using the equation: d = (v²*sin(2θ))/g, where d is the maximum vertical distance, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of release, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does air resistance affect the maximum vertical distance of a thrown ball?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It can decrease the maximum vertical distance of a thrown ball by slowing it down. This is because air resistance increases with speed, and as the ball moves higher, it loses speed due to air resistance, resulting in a shorter vertical distance.

What is the optimal angle to throw a ball for maximum vertical distance?

The optimal angle to throw a ball for maximum vertical distance is 45 degrees. At this angle, the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity are equal, resulting in the maximum range. However, this angle may vary depending on other factors such as air resistance and the strength of the thrower.

How does the initial velocity affect the maximum vertical distance of a thrown ball?

The initial velocity plays a crucial role in determining the maximum vertical distance of a thrown ball. The higher the initial velocity, the greater the maximum vertical distance. This is because the ball has more energy, allowing it to overcome the force of gravity and reach higher heights.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the maximum vertical distance of a thrown ball?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the maximum vertical distance of a thrown ball. These include the precision of the initial velocity and angle measurements, the assumption of negligible air resistance, and the variation in the ball's shape and weight. Environmental factors such as wind and temperature can also impact the accuracy of the calculation.